HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huffa 2

Honda 680RN

14 posts in this topic

I've heard of it.....mainly this:

"It was faster than all the two-strokes of the time, but we had pumped it up so much we were grossly exceeding the design limits of the entire bike.

Durability became an issue. The 680 made so much horsepower it would just crack the center cases horizontally. Then we started exploding rear wheels, bending swingarms, stuff like that. It sure was fun to ride, though. It was incredibly fast. The Monster never finished a race, but we learned a lot."

what I dont understand is why the engine would break the cases just because of the extra power.

Im interested as I run a 680 road racer and never had a problem with this....erm....yet!

I'd like to know what swing arm that is?

Very very good pickup there!!!!

I think it's from the CR250?

what I dont understand is why the engine would break the cases just because of the extra power.

Im interested as I run a 680 road racer and never had a problem with this....erm....yet!

I think part of the reason for failure is how the bike was used in the baja races. It is those extended periods of wide open in fifth that do the engine in. Add in some shifts without letting off the gas and you get the recipe for a kaboom. I only have a stock XR600 and I rarely keep the bike at wide open. It is only the occasional dry lake speed run for a few minutes at most.

Lovely Bike, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I think those Super Trapp exhausts look super crapp. Very esthetically unpleasing.

Im guessing it cracked the cases btwn the crank and the gearbox bearing if anywhere??

The great French writer Guy de Maupassant considering the Eiffel Tower a monstrosity, was said to have taken lunch everyday on the Eiffel Tower because it was the only place in Paris where he didn't have to look at the tower.

I would rather ride a bike with a Supper Trapp, than ride with a buddy who has a Supper Trapp on his bike.

Yeah, it would split the engine case right down the middle because it made so much torque that it would separate the tranny in half. Same thing happens to cars when you have too much torque for the transmission, the only way to fix the problem is to have physically larger gears, capable of transferring the power over a larger surface area.

Lovely Bike, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I think those Super Trapp exhausts look super crapp. Very esthetically unpleasing.

Yeah, but they make great power on a long stroke thumper.