Doug Henry's YZ450F

I'm not impressed with the intent of the Ebay bum trying to make money off of Doug's name. Maybe I would have a better attutude if the guy just wanted to ride the bike for himself, or better yet, if all the auction proceedes went to Doug's family and medical bills.

"The Yamaha guys told me not to ride it and offered me 7500.00 instead of the motorcycle."

? :busted::cheers::bonk:? :worthy: :worthy: ?

Yah Right. I'd jump on that thing and rip it up.

I would probably take that front fender off, but I'd ride that bike like a raped ape.

I'd say it is the bike Doug raced. Just a few things have been changed. Like a new stock motor was probally put in, and those fancy covers put on. And the suspension is stock revalved stuff now instead of what he probally ran. So yeah your buying a collector bike, just for the fact its signed, and it is the chassis he rode - minus the important parts.

I'm not impressed with the intent of the Ebay bum trying to make money off of Doug's name. Maybe I would have a better attutude if the guy just wanted to ride the bike for himself, or better yet, if all the auction proceedes went to Doug's family and medical bills.

Did you read the listing? Doug received thousands of dollars from it being raffled off already. The seller of the bike won it, now he is reselling it.

I really don't see anything wrong with that....

Did you read the listing? Doug received thousands of dollars from it being raffled off already. The seller of the bike won it, now he is reselling it.

I really don't see anything wrong with that....

agreed ?

And for those that want to know.....Procircut was building Dougs motors for the past couple of years, not yamaha.....that motor on that bike is not one of the special motors that procircuit built for Doug.....it is a plain jane 06 450 motor. Even the triple clamps are back to stock........?

• Like 1

Sidebar, Hijack, Cute Story, Remotely Related:

In the late sixties, European GP racing was pretty much Moto Formula One. The factory bikes were exotic to say the very least. V4's. inline 4's, and even the Moto Guzzi 500cc V8 were the stuff the class was made of. Then came the Japanese, most successfully Honda. They built an inline six that was so dominant as a 250 that they enlarged it to 297cc and dominated the 500 class with it under Mike Hailwood.

In spite of the exotic nature of the class, there was a claiming rule which stated that anyone attending the race could put money up before the end of the race and buy any of the competing machines for what was roughly the cost of a good stock road bike (say $14000 in today's terms). It was almost unheard of for anyone to do this, but one day, someone claimed Mike Hailwood's cutting edge, world beating, factory Honda, one of 10 in the world, all owned by Honda.

The Honda team was very polite, and handed the bike over. Then they pointed out that there was no service manual, and they wanted to know if he had some idea where he might be able find parts for it. ?

Now I don't claim to be the smartest guy around, but there is absolutely no safety wiring done to that bike, isn't that a big no-no for AMA MX bikes? Don't they have to have the rad cap and oil stuff wired?

Damian

I havent brushed up on my AMA rulebook in a while, but I think that is for flat track, Supermoto, and the Road Race bikes. Im not 100% on this, but I thought thats how it is.

In spite of the exotic nature of the class, there was a claiming rule which stated that anyone attending the race could put money up before the end of the race and buy any of the competing machines for what was roughly the cost of a good stock road bike (say $14000 in today's terms). It was almost unheard of for anyone to do this, but one day, someone claimed Mike Hailwood's cutting edge, world beating, factory Honda, one of 10 in the world, all owned by Honda.

Didn't some privateer get Springsteen's H-D flatracker motor that way also? Back in the late 70's?

"The Yamaha guys told me not to ride it and offered me 7500.00 instead of the motorcycle."

? :busted::cheers::bonk:? :worthy: :worthy: ?

Yah Right. I'd jump on that thing and rip it up.

I would probably take that front fender off, but I'd ride that bike like a raped ape.

lmao mee too

Here is a pic of Henry's bike at southwick in 2006.

kick29.jpg

As you can see he ran the stock triple clamps and the suspension is just revalved stock suspension as is what is on the bike on ebay. I don't think too many trick items were taken off before it was auctioned off. The bike on ebay has a muffler that was never availible to the public. Look at the tip, that is only availible to factory riders (Ricky, Bubba, ect.). The pipe on Henry's bike is not the same one you can buy. Also notice the AMA tags on the frame in the ebay pics. These tags are placed on bikes during inspection at nationals. This bike is legit and has been raced in a national.

No signs of wear @ side cases on ebay...........hmmmmm

Yeah they appear to be sand blasted. I'm sure they did that to clean the bike up before the original auction.

I can't believe how many people think this bike isn't legit. ?

Yeah they appear to be sand blasted. I'm sure they did that to clean the bike up before the original auction.

I can't believe how many people think this bike isn't legit. ?

642MX - You want to go in on it? We can trade off riding it - every other weekend...? Only problem is we will have to keep it at your house and I may be living in a trailer down by the river....

• Like 1

642MX - You want to go in on it? We can trade off riding it - every other weekend...? Only problem is we will have to keep it at your house and I may be living in a trailer down by the river....

I have a spare bedroom too......?:busted::cheers:

It looks like I can ride this weekend. I'll send you a PM later.

edit: Hey I just noticed your age isn't showing up below your name...... Does the counter max out at 50?