I keep ripping the valve stem off my front tube. Any suggestions?

Hey Guys, I am having an annoying problem and I thought I would summon the TT Gurus as to how to remedy this situation. I ride trails exclusively, and very occasionally we ride highway to connect. In the past few years I have had a problem with my front valve stem ripping off the tube. I have not nailed down a commonality as to when this happens, seems like random times. I am running the MSR extra heavy duty tubes and I do have the rimlock installed and tight. I am considering running two rimlocks on the front like in the rear, is there an easier solution? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you all may have.

Josh

If you put the nut on the valve stem do not tighten it down. Leave it loose so the valve stem can rock back and forth a little. If you snug it up it will put a lot of stress on the tube it self under the stem. HD tubes are worse because they are so stiff they do not stretch inside of the tire like a normal tube so all of the movement will pull on the stem. Also make sure when you install the tube you use a generous amount of baby powder to keep the tube from sticking to the tire.

Leave the nut on but wind it out almost to the valve cap.I have done a lot of k's and never ripped a valve out even after 160 kmh runs although the nobbys tend to fly off. Maybe just lucky or maybe the loose nut helps?

^^ ditto on the rim lock. Get a new one, rim locks will wear out and cause the tire to slip on the rim taking the tube with it. Also when you install a new tube use a liberal coating of baby powder, cuts down friction and will allow the tire to move without moving the tube.

Thank you all for your replies, and I am going to respond in bulk. I am already doing all of this other than replacing the rimlock. I already use the baby powder, already leave the stem nut loose (I have not tried the honda rubbers but I may give that a shot). I am fairly convinced that this is happening because of my steep down hills after a hillclimb. I am coming down about a 60-75 degree incline with the back tire almost locked up and using the front brake to slow down when I get to moving too fast for my comfort. I will give the honda rubbers a try and I will also invest in a new rimlock. Any suggestions? Are any of the brands better than another? Thanks much guys, I appreciate it.

Josh

What about the inside of the rim bead surface? I was thinking about your situation. Are those hash lines or knurl lines on the rim worn smooth? If this has been a repeated problem maybe the rim is polished smooth. It is my understanding the those dimples or teeth work with the air pressure to hold the tire in place.

I like the idea of a new rim lock. Maybe we should take a close look at the rim bead surface if you haven't already.

You might be able to restamp the marks with a sharp chisel or a new rim or wheel is always another option.

Please let us know what happens and what ends up being the fix.?

I haven't checked with a guage for a while now, but I believe it is about 6-8 lbs. I do tend to run it a little lower to make the old WR turn a little better. I had some problems with the front end washing out and so I lowered the pressure in my front tire and it seemed to help. I will check all of these suggestions when I replace this tube. Thanks,

Josh

Maybe because we ride alot of rocks here, I never go below 13 psi (with an accurate gauge). If the front is washing out it may be time to work on the suspension and clickers instead of sacrificing all the front tubes. Just my

.02 -- WR Dave.

You are probably right, I do not have a very good understanding of tuning suspension so I have not messed with it much. I do believe that I need heavier springs, I weigh about 190 lbs. I guess it is time to bone up on the suspension jargin and get to work. Thanks for the input.

Josh

Are you using an oild based lube to mount the tires? If so, it makes it really hard to keep the tire from slipping on the rim. Most folks really like using Windex. It lubricates fairly well and evaporates in about 15 minutes.

RH

I generally use dawn dish soap and a little water. I may try the windex, and I will also remove the rubber strap next time. I will try to let everyone know what I find when I get time to mess with this again. We just bought a new house and I am in the middle of unpacking right now. Thanks again,

Josh

II believe it is about 6-8 lbs.

Josh

Thats your problem, im almost willing to put money on it.

-Replace rimlock (excel makes really nice ones)

-Run at least 12 psi. If you run anything less, one rock or root hit straight on will easily bend your rim.

Thats your problem, im almost willing to put money on it.

-Replace rimlock (excel makes really nice ones)

-Run at least 12 psi. If you run anything less, one rock or root hit straight on will easily bend your rim.

I'd second that. 12psi or higher (unless it's really muddy and you're going into survival mode just to get through hell)

or else... your tire will slip on the rim during heavy front wheel braking and tear

your valve stem. ?

You should stay on top of your tire pressures. I check them every ride and adjust regularly.

Easy to do and tire pxr makes a big difference when it comes to handling.

That's the tube I just installed. I better go back and check that valve. I figured since it had a nut under and on top of the rim it's okay to torque it down. Now that I think about it, I better go back and loosen it some.

If you put the nut on the valve stem do not tighten it down. Leave it loose so the valve stem can rock back and forth a little. If you snug it up it will put a lot of stress on the tube it self under the stem. HD tubes are worse because they are so stiff they do not stretch inside of the tire like a normal tube so all of the movement will pull on the stem. Also make sure when you install the tube you use a generous amount of baby powder to keep the tube from sticking to the tire.

That's the tube I just installed. I better go back and check that valve. I figured since it had a nut under and on top of the rim it's okay to torque it down. Now that I think about it, I better go back and loosen it some.

Yeah, I thought the same when I just replaced my front rubber. I'll have to go back and loosen that up. I run about 14psi in my tubes though so it should be gripping ok. We have some pretty rocky terrain around here.