HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huffa 2

650L Staintune exhaust system

5 posts in this topic

By chance, anyone running this set up ? It's made in Ausrailia but there are plenty of dealers in the USA.

What really interests me is that they state : " STAINTUNE pipes are actually one of the quietest aftermarket exhausts you can buy. Even with the sound restrictors removed, they still come in a few decibels less than almost all other aftermarkets pipes. "

They have them for the R model aslo. Sort of confusing that their R is actually an L :thumbsup:

http://www.staintune.com.au/index.html

HondaXR600.jpg

Our R is not an L.

Up until 2000 we had Rs.

Then for some strange reason Honda started importing the Ls. Note they are completely different bikes -as if made by a different manufacturer.

I run a full pre quiet staintune on my R - great pipe that has a real bark off idle.

IMG_4045.jpg

Putting around - it's very quiet.

Do I see provisions for the header heat sheild ?

Man, they are EXPENSIVE though :thumbsup:

XR600/650L SPORT RACE MUFFLER** (Does not fit 1989-90 XR600) 335A3 $449.99

BIG BORE HEADER SET 335J5 $359.99

Do I see provisions for the header heat sheild ?

Man, they are EXPENSIVE though :thumbsup:

XR600/650L SPORT RACE MUFFLER** (Does not fit 1989-90 XR600) 335A3 $449.99

BIG BORE HEADER SET 335J5 $359.99

Yes they have full provision for the header shield.

Thats weird on pricing - I owuld buy a used one off Ebay

Prices down here are $275 Aussie for headers and $500 for exhaust.

85 US cents buys one Aussie dollar

I recently bought the full Staintune system. Two months ago, they had a huge price increase with the header pipe going for $399 retail, whereas the muffler stayed about the same. The muffler is well crafted with a one screw removable restrictor baffle. The bike is medium loud with the piece in and moderate loud with it removed. I actually like the sound better with it in. I tried the header pipe and did not like it as much as the stock pipes (I'm in the minority here!) First, they yellow immediately, not a horrible thing, but the matte black of the stock headers looks better than yellow to my eye. BTW, the stock header mates up perfectly with the Staintune muffler. Second, I don't like the weld joinery at about six inches out on the header (one per pipe). it looks a bit Mickey Mouse to me, however it is tons better than the horrible welds on the XRs Only stainless header (two per pipe). The stock Honda system has no weld and is nicely curved. I'm not sure what it is about stainless, but it kicks off a huge amount of heat through the metal, you can really feel it. I couldn't tell any difference in performance from stock to Staintune. One other tiny glitch, there is a crease in the Staintune header directly under where the kick starter lies. I thought my pipe had been damaged in shipping, however others have informed me that this is a factory stamping to give a little more clearance for the kickstart lever. It would have been nice if they had placed the crease in direct alignment with the kickstarter, but it is at a 45 deg. angle to the pipe and really looks wrong.

The Staintune header is really well made though, and the stock heat shield bolts right on.