YZ426 in the woods???

Will this bike be too portly in the tight stuff? I've owned an 02 YZ250F and I liked it, but I felt it was a little top heavy and the front end pushed a little. So I sold it and I bought a KTM 2 stroke, and I loved the bike but I missed the smooth tractable power. I'm thinking of going back to 4 stroke and I found a good deal on a '00 YZ426. I ride singletrack with a good mix of terrain. Is this bike gonna do well?

I have an '02 with a Rekluse and wood gearing (13/50) and it works great.

I have an 00 and ride 80% woods. No problems on the tight stuff. All about the gearing. Yeah the 426's are a little top heavy but still a great woods bike with only minor setups such as gearing & tires. Fly-wheel weight would be good as well. As mentioned, the rekluse is the bomb.

- RCD

Going to pick it up tonight. Here's a couple of pics:

DSC00770.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

Going to pick it up tonight. Here's a couple of pics:

DSC00770.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

wow, it looks great. how much did you pay for it?

Flywheel weight and hot cams auto decomp cam it will be like kicking over a 2 stroke

wow, it looks great. how much did you pay for it?

$1500. It's even better than it looks in the pictures. It's got an aftermarket kickstand, new chain and sprockets 13/51, an aluminum skid plate, handguards, a Talon rear hub, new plastic and graphics, but it's mostly stock. It starts first kick cold and shift like a new bike. The guy who sold it to me raced it in an over 50 class and took very good care of it. I think I scored a pretty good deal....can't wait to get it out on the trail!!

Looks great. Lets see some more pics of it.

Dude, make sure you pull up those seal savers! They are only supposed to go about 2 inches max onto the lower fork tubes. The long design is to protect the upper fork tubes.

Also it looks like the previous owner already set the forks up higher in the triple clamps, so it should turn just fine for any type of riding.

Dude, make sure you pull up those seal savers! They are only supposed to go about 2 inches max onto the lower fork tubes. The long design is to protect the upper fork tubes.

Yeah, I noticed that. I might order new ones, they don't fit very well....they're for a KTM.

It's also got some sort of Nology spark enhancing device.

I got some Tusk short ones from rockymountainatv.com and they work great! They make long ones as well if you want more protection from rocks shooting off rear tires in front of you. They are much cheaper than seal savers and are the same quality!

i ride my 02 426 on single track trails every once in a while and i do fine with stock front sprocket and 51-53 in the back.

good luck and have fun on your new bike:thumbsup:

EDIT: i haven't had much trouble with my stock flywheel but i recommend purchasing a heavier flywheel or weight if you mainly do single track