KLX450R vs. WR450 - Dirt Bike mag.

Dirt Bike's main job is to get everyone "Hyped up" about the KLX, they will compare it and basically find little nit picks that nobody really cares about to make the KLX the winner. I too got the magazine and noticed that the KTM lost because if i remember correctly "the pull on the clutch was a little stiffer" but "the KLX has a catch tank for overheating, and that makes it better" BULLS**T. Its all a bunch of marketing hype and Kawasaki probably gave them a bit of money to do that ? In my opinion if Yamaha didn't have the WR, I would end up with a KTM.

Dirt Bike's main job is to get everyone "Hyped up" about the KLX, they will compare it and basically find little nit picks that nobody really cares about to make the KLX the winner. I too got the magazine and noticed that the KTM lost because if i remember correctly "the pull on the clutch was a little stiffer" but "the KLX has a catch tank for overheating, and that makes it better" BULLS**T. Its all a bunch of marketing hype and Kawasaki probably gave them a bit of money to do that ? In my opinion if Yamaha didn't have the WR, I would end up with a KTM.

If anyone doesn't totally agree with this, grab an atv magazine. They do the same thing. I remember reading about the new Quadracer. They took a CT 330R(completely aftermarket frame and 330 powervalve motor) making about 65hp and said the new Suzuki wasn't even comparable. Which was true but they said the Suzuki was the best one and the R couldn't keep up. Hell, I had a Krank-It 265 stock cylinder 250R that would smoke the Suzuki any way you looked at it and it wasn't making 50hp. I rode a Suzuki set up the same way theirs was and laughed. Its all hype around a new rig. I think, if a guy really wants to know which brand of "enduro" type bike is the best he needs to see who is winning the WEC races. It really doesn't matter in the end anyway.

Actually, here's what they said about the KTM:

Overall, though, the KTM is a tough package to beat. It still hasn't been done.

DirtBike is a fairly entertaining and harmless hour of reading every month, although I agree with whoever mentioned their many editorial mistakes. I'm not expecting Newsweek, but dang. Someone needs to proofread that magazine before it goes to print.

Look at is this way - Dirt Rider's complaint about having to modify the bike is pretty much the same thing many of you are saying here - we don't ALL need CA green stick compliance. I don't even know what that is.

So, if DR complains about it, that's good! I'd also hope Yamaha is listening.

That being said, where the hell is my latest issue of DR??? Am I going to have to go down to the freakin mensroom at our post office again to find it???

I hated having to modify my bike ('05 WR 450) but it forced me to become a better mechanic. Coming off a 2001 XR 650 I was intimidated to tear into the WR. The 650 was a breeze to work on, but after a couple of hours in the garage (with a few stops here and Thumperfaq) I had my bike dialed in. I'd prefer to buy a bike that I don't need to modify to get it to run the way the engineers designed it to run, but that's the times we live in.

And doesn't anyone from the EPA realize that just about every bike that's sold is modified by it's owner to get around their ridiculous restrictions? It seems like the government agencies that enforce these flawed policies would find a more realistic and workable program to reduce vehicle emissions. Talk about a flawed system!!

I have friends that ride Hondas, Kawi's and KTM...and they all do mods similar to those done on a WR to get it to run right (except for the throttle stop, which might be one of the dummest design's in the history of motorized vehicles). I find it baffling that all the testers for major mags don't see the WR for what it is...an awesome trail/race bike that needs a little "help" to uncork it's inner self. Everyone I know with a CRFX has had transmission/ valves probs, the KLX's needle position can't be changed without a new needle AND slide, and the KTM's motors seem to last about a year if raced hard. My WR has thousands of hard miles and it just keeps on plugging away.?

Actually, here's what they said about the KTM:

DirtBike is a fairly entertaining and harmless hour of reading every month, although I agree with whoever mentioned their many editorial mistakes. I'm not expecting Newsweek, but dang. Someone needs to proofread that magazine before it goes to print.

Look above your quote about 4 lines and you will see my quote... then they go on to say that the KTM has better chain, rims, and handlebars... but the Kawasaki has a catch tank so now its better. Makes absolutely NO sense. All-in-all its still a good hour or so read if you overlook the typos, but hey everyone makes mistakes.

I have a 05 wr450 and it F'n ROCKS! I don't have the AIS removed because I was lead to believe that there was no noticable gains by doing so, Is this correct???

There's no noticeable gain but the bike will pop more on de-accel, making it harder to fine tune your jetting. I couldn't tell ya if it's an urban legend or not, cuz I took mine off when I rejetted the bike.?

I have a 05 wr450 and it F'n ROCKS! I don't have the AIS removed because I was lead to believe that there was no noticable gains by doing so, Is this correct???

First off, the bike pops about 2x less. It also lightens the bike a bit and gives it a less "cramped" look. For forty bucks its a win-win situation.