KLX450R vs. WR450 - Dirt Bike mag.

I just got my DirtBike magazine today. It has a quick comparison between the KLX450 and the other 450s. In the compairson with the WR, they seem to like them pretty much equally, with each having their respective strengths and weaknesses, but they end by saying:

Our biggest problem with the Yamaha is that it's not really ready to ride. You have to rejet it and remove the throttle stop. We don't understand why. For that reason alone, the Kawasaki wins round two.

While there is no disputing that the WR comes out of the crate plugged up, isn't it true that over 90% of WR riders get that taken care of right away? My dealer did the "free mods" for me - for free - before I took the bike out the door.

Every time I read a review of the WRs, that seems to take center stage. Why is that such a big hang-up will all of these magazine guys? It seems like such a non-issue.

Oh, and let me be clear. I have nothing against any of the other bikes, including and especially the KLX. That very well may be my next bike in a couple of years.

I just bought an 07 WR450 , Ill tell you what , I agree with Dirtbike Mag.Yamaha should have this bike ready to rock right out the box,but they dont. Plus, they dont properly grease the swingarm and left a big hole in the air filter.Ive read that all the smog control b.s. is to make the bike California green sticker compliant.They sell this bike worldwide, SELL IT THE WAY WE WANT IT! Then make a KIT for those who want it green sticker complaint. Yamaha's business model on this bike is flawed big time.Why do we want a big offroad bike anyways ? To be the baddest,kick ass bike in the woods ,trails ,etc.....Ill step off the soap box now as I wait,and wait for the AIS kit to come in so I can see what this bike will really do. I dont owe Yamaha any loyallty,they have to earn it.I do think its well made ,and Ill be happy when its done. I just think it should be done when you buy it. Bob

Since buying my WR last year I wonder if the other 450's came with the same restrictions on them. Apparently this isn't so, so what does Yamaha do this? If the other bikes are green sticker without the restriction, then why must the WR be the same way. Must be something in there.

Anywho, looked at is a way to get to know my WR.

The KTM's come ready to roll because they have learned to work with the Euro sound, emmissions standards long before North America. While I can't speak for the new KLX 450, I do know that after I do the few hours of work to do all the "FREE" derestriction mods and grease the bike (they all come with very little grease) , the KTM isn't any better IMHO and the Honda CRFX 450 needs several hundred dollars to get it to perform like the WR. Flame away -- WR Dave.

Dirtbike magazine sound like a bunch of girls. They dont even set the bikes up they probably pay some one to do it for them, so how does the WR loose because of an AIS kit. WR's have been around for years and all of them had to have there AIS kit removed and no one has really complained about this becuase thats how Yamaha made them. Now Kawasaki come allong with a bike that doesn't need an AIS kit almost seven years later and they win a shoot out ! Please do me a favour an go themselves

My brotherlaw bought a KLX450. I would still have my WR450 '07 any day.

Finishing off the bike isn't very good these are the items I dont like:tripmeter cable flimsy thin wire, quick access airbox doesn't fit properly with the side cover, crappy decompresion lever assemble, headlight ergonomics, hard to reard trip meter (standard led display cant read it when dust is on screen), bike stalls easily in slow or rocky areas, bike is green and not blue.

Over all if I couldn't get a WR and did not have the wallet for a KTM I would buy a KLX before a Honda or Suzuki, but then again thats my opion. What do the reast of you think ?

Cheers

Muz

?:busted:?

Only the WR's for the USA market, which we also get here in SA are plugged.

But &%$#@! I agree with you about the magazine write ups Murray. At least it seems like the KLX coming onto the market has reduced the price on the 07 WR's.

I just got my DirtBike magazine today. It has a quick comparison between the KLX450 and the other 450s. In the compairson with the WR, they seem to like them pretty much equally, with each having their respective strengths and weaknesses, but they end by saying:

While there is no disputing that the WR comes out of the crate plugged up, isn't it true that over 90% of WR riders get that taken care of right away? My dealer did the "free mods" for me - for free - before I took the bike out the door.

Every time I read a review of the WRs, that seems to take center stage. Why is that such a big hang-up will all of these magazine guys? It seems like such a non-issue.

Oh, and let me be clear. I have nothing against any of the other bikes, including and especially the KLX. That very well may be my next bike in a couple of years.

I couldn't agree more. A couple of hours worth of work (that any dealership with decent customer service will already have taken care of) is hardly a reason to buy or not buy a bike.

I agree - what a bunch of crap. While it was a bit of a hassle to do the mods, as well as the swingarm & linkage bearings, it got me into the bike & I know how it's set up. Also, anyone who buys a KLX450 will improve its preformance by jetting it properly - every bike needs to be properly jetted to run the way it was designed. I just bought a 450 EXC for my son - because it's street legal!! Hear that Yamaha!! - (I digress) - and the dealer "derestricted" it for me - proper jetting, exhaust mod, etc. So, I believe that all off road bikes need to be jetted, modded and otherwise set up properly. It's just that with the Yamaha you do it right away, rather than saying "Well, it's OK, I'll get around to it sometime." Yamaha forces you to do it right away, then you roost away!

Also in Dirt Bike (I think) - rumor of the 08 WR450 being street legal.

Must agree with your comment. I now know my bike inside and out, what bolt go's where etc. Was a lot of work in the begining but I think maintenace will be easier from now on. I also Agree with the comment about the KLX450 dropping the prices in South Africa from $10,000 to $9,142 as you can see my American freinds we are getting screwed blind done here.

Cheers

Muz

?:busted:?

I love my WR, and my next bike will probably be another one in a couple years, but having to have a dealer or myself do work on it out of the box to get rid of the stuff that plugs em up just for California isn't a positive in my book. I'll put up with it because I prefer the WR, but that doesn't make it a good thang or something that should make Yamaha immune from criticism.

I love my WR, and my next bike will probably be another one in a couple years, but having to have a dealer or myself do work on it out of the box to get rid of the stuff that plugs em up just for California isn't a positive in my book. I'll put up with it because I prefer the WR, but that doesn't make it a good thang or something that should make Yamaha immune from criticism.

Well put, my friend. If Yamaha watches this forum(if they don't they're insane) they should be answering the customers request.Ill bet there is many out there,that picked a different bike because of these reasons. Bob

I checked out the KLX450R the other day at the dealer........ I don't need to ride it! It's made with sub standard matl's, everything from the kickstand to the bars is junk........ The WR is twice the bike, period.?

As a begginer, (I rode a '95 YZ125 for 4 months then bought my '06 450) I liked the fact that it was restricted, I rode it stock for a while then opened the exaust only and finnaly did the rest of the mods, it really helped me to learn the bike and get used to the power, the mods took me 1.5 hours and helped me to know the bike, I mean come on, if you dont like doing the mods, what about checking the valves or even changing the oil?

I only take Dirtbike magazine with a grain of salt. I have quit buying it, mainly because of the editorial mistakes that I continually find in it's publication. Repeated paragraphs, spelling, etc. I love my wr450! I would never rely on that magazine to make up my mind on a purchasing decision. I bought my bike because it's a yamaha, known to be reliable and a great performing bike. Almost everybody modifies their bike to the way they want it after time. If I could have taken every bike out for a day that I was considering, that may have changed my mind. Unfortunately dealers don't work this way. If you take care of your bike, do the proper maintenance, all bikes can be enjoyable and lead to a great day out on the trails with friends and family. Thats what it's all about for me. If you race and are looking to be highly competative situation then get a sponser with the best offer and ride the bike they give you. otherwise Shut up and ride:ride:

...Ive read that all the smog control b.s. is to make the bike California green sticker compliant.They sell this bike worldwide, SELL IT THE WAY WE WANT IT! Then make a KIT for those who want it green sticker complaint.

Believe me, as a Californian I don't want the smog junk either. My '05 was down right dangerous to ride - surged/stalled. I agree Yamaha should sell the bike to the "world" and have a kit for the CA regulations. Then again, maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. I can't believe the Euro's have stricter standards than Cali... every motor around here is so plugged up with smog equipment since I can remember (early '70's).

Mike