HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R6bbie

Why do people say 450's are hard to start? Video Inside

15 posts in this topic

Here is my 2005 YZ 450F.

I never have a problem starting it cold or hot.

I am also very short...5'7 with shoes.

Anyhow...why is it so easy for me and so hard for everyone else?

I just read so much about how hard it was to start before buying...I don't see it being hard at all. I would almost try it barefoot...LOL

Anyhow...here is the vid...comments?

http://www.r6bbie.com/starting450.avi

My 2004 yz450f was very easy to start also. Never had a problem with it starting. I could even start it with my hand. It's just a misconception people have about 4 strokes. Since they once knew of a 4 stroke that was hard to start, they stereotype all of them.

for one your bike could be jetted awesome and secondly it is knowing your bike.

good job

I have only rode it 3 times...don't know it that well but I just read all over the place about how hard it is to start and how you have to kick the shit out of it...KICK IT HARD everyone says...there is NO need to kick it hard. Being short.... this scared me a tad cuz I didn't want to have the hassle but I wanted the 450 for Sumo and didn't want a 2 stroke. I've beed riding for over 20 years if that makes a difference...

The older YZ400/426 were tricky to start and that's pretty much where it came from. There was a procedure to start those, but with the auto-decompression cams in the 450's, they are as simple as a 2t to start.

Damian

The old "decompressor" style YZ/WR's were a regimented PIA to start no lie. My '02 WR was horrible if I crashed and stalled the engine. It would take 12 kicks to burn out the ingested raw fuel from the bike being layed over. Now after spending time on my new '07 I have it down to like 2 or 3 kicks cold, and 1 or 2 kicks hot. Every bike is a little different, and pilot jetting plays a big role is startability.

The old "decompressor" style YZ/WR's were a regimented PIA to start no lie. My '02 WR was horrible if I crashed and stalled the engine. It would take 12 kicks to burn out the ingested raw fuel from the bike being layed over. Now after spending time on my new '07 I have it down to like 2 or 3 kicks cold, and 1 or 2 kicks hot. Every bike is a little different, and pilot jetting plays a big role is startability.

I do not miss those days at all........especially cold days trying to start those 400s/426s.....PITA...is putting it mildly....to say the least.

:thumbsup:

I do not miss those days at all........especially cold days trying to start those 400s/426s.....PITA...is putting it mildly....to say the least.

:thumbsup:

My YZ400F starts everytime in the first 2 kicks. Even when it was 30 degrees out.

I also have no problems starting my 07 YZ450...and I never had problems starting my 06 KX450 either. although I will say that I had a HELL of a time trying to start a friends 01 250F...that thing was way harder to start than any 450 ive tried...it had the decompressor lever too.

They don't do it often, but believe me, if your 450 ever decides to kick back on you while you're wearing riding boots , you will never kick it sneakers again, much less sandals.

If you must, at least use the ball of your foot, rather than the arch, so you have some change of surviving the event with fewer than 3 broken bones. When they come back, they can come back unbelievably hard.

The old "decompressor" style YZ/WR's were a regimented PIA to start no lie. My '02 WR was horrible if I crashed and stalled the engine. It would take 12 kicks to burn out the ingested raw fuel from the bike being layed over.

hmm must been some thing wrong with ur bike. my 400 always first kick matter if it was cold, hot, stall, upside down or anythin! my 04 now is too easy...

My YZ400F starts everytime in the first 2 kicks. Even when it was 30 degrees out.

I know I said this to when I owned all of them 1 400/ 3 -426s........:thumbsup:

Jetting was key for them...temp changes = immediate jet changes.:busted:

Seriously it was not too bad....once you got the routine down to start it not that big a deal....but when anyone who did not know the routine tried it...most times they hated it..especially when they fell or stalled. :thumbsup:

Amen for the decompression fix.......

i will NEVER forget the first handful of times i started my first thumper. after learning and riding my first bike, a yz 125, i stepped up to a yz250f. got it home from the dealer and tried to fire it up... 60ish kicks later i was swearinglike mad, the bike was backfiring, coughing, anything but starting... it took about a week before i realized that you aren'tsupposed to touch the throttle like you might on a two stroke!

man i laugh when i think back at that... now on my third thumper. and lovin' it!

Agreed - my 02 YZ426 never had a problem, whether it was middle of winter or summer in Texas. Even after having been away for months, started right up. The starting drill was not an issue once you knew it (reading the manual was a great place to start). Guess my jetting was spot on and I had a good one.