Swingarm removal...

My bearings are shot on my 650R. So, I dropped about $130 and got new swingarm and linkage bearings. Not cheap, but had to be done.

Anyway, I go to take the pivot bolt out of the swingarm, and notice there is a locknut on the head end of the pivot bolt, and that you need a 20mm lock nut removal wrench, at least according to the manual.

Has anyone done this w/o having to get the special tool? If so, how???

Sometimes the bolt comes right out without removing the locknut, some times it does not.I'm about 50/50 now with different 650s. The last one was totally seized and Precision Concepts did it for 65 bucks, I couldn't beat that. I had bought a net linkage and swingarm of Ebay and the 65 bucks covered their installing it too. All I can say is keep the bolt and bearings greased well.Try some weep holes in the end of the swingarm too.Got a service manual?

I do have a service manual, thats how I knew what was needed to take the bolt out. But, like I said, I REALLY don't want to have to get any special tools if I don't have to. Its not like this is something I will be doing on a regular basis...

dang, I just realized I need to make two tools! I made one of these months ago, and now I can see there's a double wrench deal needed. I almost pulled all the parts out of the frame last night. Glad I didn't - have to get back to the redneck toolmaking mode first (but I have no welder, so buy tools instead? or finally buy a welder? ?

dang, I just realized I need to make two tools! I made one of these months ago, and now I can see there's a double wrench deal needed. I almost pulled all the parts out of the frame last night. Glad I didn't - have to get back to the redneck toolmaking mode first (but I have no welder, so buy tools instead? or finally buy a welder? ?

No need for a welder; I used a normal 1/2" drive on the inner specialhommaderednecktool and a bigass vicegrip on the outer. Doesn't take a lot of torque.

I replaced my swingarm bearings about 2 months ago. I found I didn't need any special tools to take off the swingarm. I did have a hard time getting the swingarm bolt out. I lubed up everything and let sit for a few days and still had a miserable time getting the bolt out. The bolt would spin, just wouldn't come out. I resorted to the 5 lb sledge hammer and went to work. With a little persuasion the bolt came out, but I did mushroom the end of the bolt and replaced it with a new one. I really didn't understand the role of the castle nut other then possibly aligning the swingarm once it was in place. A new swingarm bolt is about $10. Good luck with your project.