HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cklinger

Anyone changed sprocket gear ratios?

9 posts in this topic

I need to replace my rear sprocket and chain... so I was thinking about a little re-gearing. The stock setup (I think) on my 00' WR400 has a 14 tooth in front and a 50 tooth in back. Is anyone out there in cyberland running anything different? If so, how do you like your set-up? I was thinking about going with a 52 tooth sprocket in back for more low-end torque...

changing by only 2 T's in the back will have some but very little effect on the overall gear ration. IMO, if you really want to see a difference go down 1t in the front. The front sprockets are cheap enough so that if you don't like it, it's not big deal. Also, it's really easy to go back and forth between sprockets in the front.

Does the front sprocket have to be impacted?? A friend told me I'd need an impact driver to change it out... being that it's part of the transmission and all... that true?

I have a 13t and a 15t, the stock 14 is good for almost everything. I use the 13 with a trials tire for tight trails in the summertime. I use the 15 when going on long dualsports. I have raced enduros after being too lazy to change the 13 or the 15 on different occasions and the bike was so versatile it did not really matter.

Does the front sprocket have to be impacted?? A friend told me I'd need an impact driver to change it out... being that it's part of the transmission and all... that true?

I haven't done it on my WR yet. I've done it on my two other bikes though. Impact wrench can help, but if you stabilize the rear wheel I doubt you have to have one. You can stick a rod or something carefully through the sprocket and under the swing arm to block the wheel from moving. Then you should be able to break it loose with breaker bar.

I have a 13t and a 15t, the stock 14 is good for almost everything. I use the 13 with a trials tire for tight trails in the summertime. I use the 15 when going on long dualsports. I have raced enduros after being too lazy to change the 13 or the 15 on different occasions and the bike was so versatile it did not really matter.

I don't think it matters too much either, unless its a 250.

Mines running 14/48 atm (was 14/50) as I'm hitting the desert next weekend and i think I'm just gonna leave it as it is, was doing really tight snotty single track on the weekend and it was fine :thumbsup:

For reference my bike is a 98 Wr400 bored out to 426cc w/ hot cams

I'm running 14 front and went from 50 to 53 on rear.My bike goes like a rocket down low and climbs hills fantastic.I stay in third nearly all the time and it grunts well.