rad brace/cage suggestions?

hey guys,

just wondering what kind of rad braces or cages you guys run? or if you run anything at all? whats good about em'? whats bad about em'?

I love the works connection braces, but they don't make them for my 06 450.

they make rad cages, but they are outrageously expensive.

on the advice of a couple of local racers i ordered a set of DEVOL rad guards, but have since talked to people who have told me that the DEVOL guards did nothing to save their rads in crashes... any suggestions

thanks for all the help.

I am using the WC cage. I belive i paid about $90 for it, which i dont think is much more than the devol. I have definitely put them to the test and they have been flawless. I have not used the devol cages nor do i know anyone that has on an 06, but i would definitely recommend the WC cage to anyone that wants to save their radiators.

I've had great luck with DeVol on both my 426 and my son's 250. We both eat dirt pretty hard and pretty regularly, and no issues. The WC radiator braces (not cages) do absolutely nothing to protect your radiators in all but the most causal falls. When we bought my son's 250, it we put the WC braces on it. First fall (not evan a really bad one) and the radiator was on it's way to Myler's for repair. The brace just crippled! The cages look to be much more substantial...

im not positive the difference between rad cages and braces but i have the works "cages" and they are worth every penny. Ive had the devols on my 250 and tho they worked well, they bent often and i would have to hammer em straight. The works have a clean look...you cant even tell they're there.?

I have the Devols on my 06 yzf450, and they work great. I do have to admit, I like the looks of the WC cages, and if they hold up just as well as teh Devol brace, I would go for the WC. I also had the Devol braces on my old crf, again they worked great.

Seeing as how you've already ordered the Devols and are trying to save some money, I would stick with the Devols.

Devol's are great, until you get into a bad mud race, then the pack up BIG time with mud. I used Works Connections ones, and still bent up a radiator (but maybe the WC brace saved my radiator from getting completely trashed).

I recently purchased the new Moose Racing braces, and wow do they look beefy and very well designed. Problem is both the radiators have to come off on the YZF's to install the Moose braces. I havew not yet got around to installing them.

Don't know if WC or Devol work with IMS but WC cages work with Clarke 2.8 tank. I originally bought Devol bout had MAJOR issues with fit, so I sent them back and went with WC. Zip Ty stuff looks pretty good too!

I'm with you on this one - had some Devol frame guards that simply didn't fit. After sales response sucked. I'd go with WC. Like the look of the Zip Ty & Unabiker stuff mind you.

I recently purchased the new Moose Racing braces, and wow do they look beefy and very well designed. Problem is both the radiators have to come off on the YZF's to install the Moose braces. I havew not yet got around to installing them.

I bought and installed the Moose braces over the winter. They are extremely beefy and do not restrict airflow. They were pretty easy to install, but you do have to trim/remove the vertical plastic support on the inside of the radiator shroud to get them to fit because the cage goes on the outside of the radiator. The design uses the rubber bushing/bumper on the inside of the brace which appears to allow less flex of the brace/radiator unit, in contrast to the Works Connection brace which uses the traditional design with the rubber bushing/bumper between the cage and the frame. In a hard crash the Moose design might be more likely to snap off a bolt at the frame than the WC design, but I have fortunately not had the opportunity to test that theory.

Although I took the radiators off to install the braces because I was changing the fluid and doing and detailed winter inspection and clean, I think you might be able to install them without removing the radiators because each brace comes in 4 sections. I will post pictures tonight.

Moose.jpg

left1.jpg

• Like 1

I second the unabiker brand. They are super strong and look great. You can get them in any color you like. I have crashed many times head on to trees and the radiators did not move at all. No damage to the radiators after many crashes. Super good product and great guys at the shop if you have any questions.:bonk:? :busted::cheers:

i have devol's on my 2005 450 and love them, without them im sure i would have had to replace a radiator or two by now. They do a good job of keeping roost and sticks and branches out of the radiator without restricting airflow.

Not to beat a dead horse but the Unibikers are unbelievably strong....and if by some odd chance you do bend one just hammer it back into place.

Then how do you get a "straight" rad brace to bolt up the a bent radiator? Long time vet riders will tell you NEVER try to straighten out a dirt bike radiator, you will surely crack a seam and make it leak..... if it aint leakin' leave the bent rad alone.