Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
genuiskpy

03 yzf 450 overheat

4 posts in this topic

how can i tell if my bike is running to hot.... after fast 40 minute ride in the desert temps @ 80degrees should the motor be to hot to touch.... id like to touch the different areas of the motor with my glove on and judge if its to hot the on the trails..... after my 20 min run fast run in the desert my motor wasnt burning but i could only keep my raw finger on the cyliner for 3 secs... what u guys think... suggestions??????? other smart ways to tell if its running to hot ??? bike has 40 hours on it since new

after my 20 min run fast run in the desert my motor wasnt burning but i could only keep my raw finger on the cyliner for 3 secs...
That means that the outside of the cylinder is around 160 degrees. Not very hot. You're never going to be able to gauge the temperature that way.

If the coolant isn't blowing off pressure at the overflow, you can be reasonably sure you're alright. If you need more info than that, get some temp tape from Pro Circuit.

By the way, your exhaust will glow red if you let it idle more than a minute or so.

In RacerX, I saw an ad for a rad cap that had a temp guage on it...

has anybody else seen this, or does anybody have one?

i think that would be a great idea.