meterman

xr650l carb mod..dyno jet kit or daves mod?????

32 posts in this topic

After having used the Dynojet kit on several customers bikes and Dave's mod on my own bike, I hafta say Daves mod is better . But it does seem to decrease fuel mileage slightly over the DJ kit. I'm at about 34 mpg right now.

34??? thats bad. even when im on the gas a lot i get 40+. what other mods have you done/not done?

Other mods include Hotcam, Uni (desnorkled stock box),E2,mildly ported head,and the true mileage killer 13/45 gearing and a very active throttle hand. I should have been more specific in my last post. On bikes with a pipe and the box opened up Dave's mod seems to be about 1/2 to 1 mpg below the Dynojet kit.

100% false :busted:

Sorry, not to argue but it is very true! Just go through Laguna Beach and you will find out the hard way. The cops do check for smog equipment.....

Sorry, not to argue but it is very true! Just go through Laguna Beach and you will find out the hard way. The cops do check for smog equipment.....

But did they 2 years ago... :busted:

Dave

But did they 2 years ago... :busted:

Dave

LMFAO!! You got a point Dave!

I am thinking of adding a 650L to my arsonal. I have owned a 600R and 650R. I think a unrestricted 650L would make the ultimate dual sport weapon.

I currently have a Kawasaki 650R and KTM 300EXC. But when all is said and done, You just can't beat the Honda air cooled bikes . The new CRF's are way too "needy".

I want to thank you Dave for the wealth of info you give on the good 'ol XR's! Thanks for making me laugh this morning!

By the way, the answer to the origional post would be to do Daves mod of course. Dyno Jets are sized different than oem keihin. Too confusing for jetting adjustments in my opinion.

Chris

Posted (edited)

Jet kit and drill the slide. Do both. The clueless will be along shortly to disparage this.     :p  Oh , by the way , Dave did this too.

Edited by JoeRC51
1 person likes this

Look into 6sigma jet kits. They include 3 main jets as well as pilot. Their instructions tell you how to do Dave's mods, the kit also includes the correct drill bit for Dave's mods. Price under $50

2 people like this