Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillyTheKid45

xr650l Fouling plugs after engine rebuild

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I had my bike worked on at the Honda shop. I took it in to have the valves adjusted and they called back saying the valve guides needed to be machined. They did that then said it needed a new piston and rings. They bored out the clyinder and installed new piston and rings. I drove it home last winter and it was fine on the ride home. Now that it's summer and I've had a chance to try and ride the bike instantly cuts off when I give it the gas.

While the choke is on (half way) at idle the bike acts fine (although it does idle a bit high). As soon as I give it any throttle it immidately dies. If I put the choke all the way on and turn the throttle quickly it revs right up but then dies when it tries to come back to idle. When I pull the spark plug it's completely covered in black. There is no smoke, no oil leaks. I don't want to take it back to the dealer after the $800 repair bill I got last time. Does anyone have an idea of what I need to adjust?

Shouldn't the bike run leaner now if it has a bigger piston instead of richer?

working at a dealer myself as a tech(toyota), if that bike ran fine before yo brought it in, now it doesnt? that is an issue THEY need to take care of. dont let them bs you.

I should have mentioned it's been sitting in my garage for 7 months while my ankle healed up. It was going fine but since the layup it has started to foul plugs like mad.

I should have mentioned it's been sitting in my garage for 7 months while my ankle healed up. It was going fine but since the layup it has started to foul plugs like mad.

same tank of fuel that it sat with? may need to pull carb apart and clean/inspect.

same tank of fuel that it sat with? may need to pull carb apart and clean/inspect.

+1 on the carb clean, and get some fresh gas in that beast :thumbsup:

Yes it does have the same gas that was in it. I'll pull off the carb and check it out. What should I be looking for? Can anyone recommend a good cleaner for carbs?

dude, drain all the gas out of the tank and carb. Clean the carb with compressed air if dirty. My first guess would be bad gas rather then that the shop made an error.

ya clean the tank, petcock, carb jets and internal passages. you may see a varnish buildup inside.

Yes, it sounds like crap in your main jet but your pilot jet is clean allowing it to run at idle. I also doubt the maint. you had done is responsible.

If you have to garage the bike again for 6 mos. or more run the gas out of the carb. with the gas off and squirt some fuel stabilizer (auto parts store) in the tank or drain it.

Carb. cleaners are a dime a dozen. Buy a can at the dollar store but make sure the can is full by comparing the weight of the other cans by 'feel'. Thats where dollar stores get you:bonk:

Good luck,

Rman...

I don't think it has anything to do with the carb...i have an 07 XR 650L which i just put in a new piston for and its doing the same thing...it dies when i crack the throttle but otherwise runs good...im still trying to figure it out but im pretty sure it has to do with the jetting.

I noticed on mine that it likes 150 degrees oil temp or higher to not blurp and hickup when i crack the throttle, maybe a little bit of both but i definietly wouldnt keep fuel that old in anything that ive got fresh fuel definitely wont hurt.

+6 on the carbs..thats the problem..the gas turned to varnish and gummed up ur main and pilot