HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dzrtrat1111

HELP!!!! XR 600R engine problem!

9 posts in this topic

hey, i've got a 1996 XR600R almost super motard. white bros slip on

the bike has run perfect and started on the first kick for the last 2 years. last week, a mile from my house on the way home from a ride up the mountain and back the bike started poping really bad on decel like it was running out of gas and then died when i pulled in the clutch at a stop sign. i thought i ran it out of gas but it started back up and i made it home with the same problems. when i got home i saw that i still had some gas, so i thought maybe i sucked some gunk into the carb since i ran the gas so low! The next day i cleaned the carb and jets then put a new spark plug in just for the hell of it.. i took it out for a test ride, it was a little harder to start and had the same problems and a poping noise that sounds like it is coming from inside the motor! What is happening to my baby!

come on! I know there is a lot of very knowledgeable xr enthusiests and motor heads on here. some body help me! even some where to start.. maybe electrical????

hey, i've got a 1996 XR600R almost super motard. white bros slip on

the bike has run perfect and started on the first kick for the last 2 years. last week, a mile from my house on the way home from a ride up the mountain and back the bike started poping really bad on decel like it was running out of gas and then died when i pulled in the clutch at a stop sign. i thought i ran it out of gas but it started back up and i made it home with the same problems. when i got home i saw that i still had some gas, so i thought maybe i sucked some gunk into the carb since i ran the gas so low! The next day i cleaned the carb and jets then put a new spark plug in just for the hell of it.. i took it out for a test ride, it was a little harder to start and had the same problems and a poping noise that sounds like it is coming from inside the motor! What is happening to my baby!

that sounds like a lean running condition on the pilot circuit. check your idle mix screw adjustment. the pilot circuit could be plugged, not just the jet itself but the internal passages. did you use compressed air with the pilot jet out to blow out the passages?

I would check the valves just to be on the safe side. I've had valves tighten up on me causing problems. I also had a stator problem with another bike. Just check the basic things first. Every time I had problem with air cooled engines they recomended checking the valves first.

thanks for the good places to start! it started at the end of a tank of gas martinfan.. i considered that.. i checked the valve clearances today, and they were right in spec.. i tried to check some of the electrical, but i don't know much about it other than making sure everything is plugged in correctly, and running basic voltage checks.

How would i go about checking if the stator is going out???????

thanks guys!

To check your stator you need to run a resistance test (ohm) on it. You'll need a basic multimeter (nothing fancy). Pretty simple test to run. Disconnect the harness coming from the stator. On your bike you should have a red/blk wire coming out of the stator harness. You need to check resistance between that wire and ground. Set your meter to Rx1 (resistance reading) If there is low resistance thats good. If the resistance is high (no continuity)the staor is going/gone bad. Hope this helps.

Good Luck :thumbsup: