Trying to move my forks up but they won't move

'07 YZ450F. I have the bolts out for the clamps but these forks are still a bugger to move. Am I missing something else? Or do I just need to give it a little muscle? Thanks.

Twist them back and forth while you force them up.

Did you take the front wheel and brake off? How about loosening the 4 bolts on each side of the triple clamps? If you have done both of those you should be able to pull/twist off the forks.

Yeah the bolts I mentioned above were the 4 on each side of the triple clamps. I removed the front tire, too. I don't see how the front brake will affect it but I'll look again. I'll try twisting them while pushing up.

I'd say take off the top clamp altogether, it should move then.

Try prying lightly on the triple clamps (usually on the bottom one) in the gap where the pinch bolts go.

'07 YZ450F. I have the bolts out for the clamps but these forks are still a bugger to move. Am I missing something else? Or do I just need to give it a little muscle? Thanks.
Are you trying to do this with the bike on the stand? You're fighting gravity when you should be enlisting its help.

Snug the bolts up a little and set it on the ground on the triangle stand, or leaning on the bench. Loosen one set of bolts on one side, and twist the fork tube a little. It will slide up. If it goes too far, don' sweat it. Just put it back on the stand and twist to lower it back to where you want it.

Yeah I had my bike on my stand. The twisting thing worked while pushing up. I'm all done now. Curious as to how it will corner now. I raised them 5mm. Thanks for the advice all.

Stupendous,

when you geta minute let me know how this worked out for you as for the cornering ability w/the 5mm decrease.

I would really appreciate knowing the differance!

Thanks!

Rune...

Stupendous,

when you geta minute let me know how this worked out for you as for the cornering ability w/the 5mm decrease.

I would really appreciate knowing the differance!

Thanks!

Rune...

Rune- I am not sure if this applies to an 07 but I just picked up an 06 450 and I raised the forks .31'' in the clamp (dont have a metric ruler so dont know the mm). It made a noticeable difference in cornering and made it easier to turn tighter. But at the same time I also changed to a Dunlop 755 front, so that was part of it to.

on my 250f(which is very similar handling wise) I did the same amount on the forks and noticed the same with better turning. depending on conditions I have gone all the way till the forks hit the bars, and boy it turns quick- and headshakes also. On the 250f .30''-.33'' was the best setting, so I think the 450f will be similar

Google rocks :thumbsup:

.31 in = 7.87400 millimeters