HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
02YZ426

Clutch Again?

8 posts in this topic

3 rides on this one.. I was riding the bike very hard today and I had to pull over and turn the adjuster on the lever about 3 full turns to get any clutch pull :thumbsup: Then about 2 laps of easy riding I had to pull over and adjust it back. I think the clutch over heated. So the rest of the day it felt ok.. but maybe not grabbing 100%. Tonight I pulled it apart and the clutch plates are turning a light purple.. not real bad, not warped either. Is any amount of purple acceptable?

Anyways, I installed the EBC springs because they are much more aggressive.. maybe that will help. I sure hope its not toast again. I likely only have 15hrs on this one, and its a GYTR clutch.

Have you inspected, and measured your pressure plate?

If that is warped/out of spec, your plates will not last long at all.

What kind of oil are you using?

Motul 10w30. I change it every ride. Thought about going full synthetic but seems like kind of a waste to dump it out after every ride. The clutch felt good today with those new springs.. but man is it ever a stiff clutch pull. So do you think any discoloration in the plates is normal??

Have you inspected, and measured your pressure plate?

If that is warped/out of spec, your plates will not last long at all.

The pressure plate is good. I think I may have abused the clutch a little too much and it over heated.

The pressure plate is good. I think I may have abused the clutch a little too much and it over heated.

That's probably it then. On a 450, overheating a clutch is very easy because of all the torque. Same with my 400. :thumbsup:

It's a 4 stroke. On a track, there's no reason or need to work the clutch that hard.

It's a 4 stroke. On a track, there's no reason or need to work the clutch that hard.

I agree. I am harder on my bikes than most people though.. I ride in the Expert and Pro class here and really run this bike hard. I do admit though, I use my clutch more than necessary.. its a bad habit I developed in my 2 stroke days. I am usually full throttle in most corners and use the clutch to control the rear wheel. I really need to change my riding style... but old habits die hard. I was practicing all Sunday not using the clutch in the corners... Its really hard to ride the bike like that for me. Its like learning how to ride all over again.. the bike handles so different riding without the clutch.