Kick starting the WR 450

Hey guys,

My starter does not work and I have been kicking the bike. The bike does not like to start (easily) when hot or after I have been riding with the quads (slow). Does anyone have any techniques for starting.

thanks,

buff

I have a 426 and it dont have a starter all I do is push the kickstart down without the decompressor slowly untill you cant push it any more not all the way down just till the compression is to much to push it anymore then start from the top again pull the decom. push kick down 2in then let the decom. go annd give it one good kick mine starts 1st or 2nd kick most of the time.

Probably jetted on the rich side not lean. My 05 kicks over the first or second no matter what. Give it no throttle (grab the brake clamp) and kick her over. If it won't start...how old is your plug? If I tip it then I need to kick it with the hart start pulled a few times then let go and she fires up. I noticed if I added a little more on my air screw it was also a little harder to start.

I have no choice but to kick start my bike.

You just have to find top dead center, and kick smoothly all the way.

Starts every time. Of course I have got perfect jetting though.

Don't touch the throttle at all, when hot, just hold the hot-start lever in.

Thanks for the reply guys:

I got the bike used and think it was set up lean. The usual place I ride is an old strip mine property with wide open logging roads. When I ride it there at a fast pace the bike runs perfect. In fact, I do not think it could run any better. I pulled the new plug and it looks just a tinge on the hot side. The problem is when I ride with the neighbors and their quads (slow) or when the trail gets tight and narrow. Slow again. When ridden slow this bike is a different animal. It has boiled over and spit coolant out the plastic coolant tank, it bogs down and is hard to start. I have not pulled the carb yet but have already ordered a jet kit from JD Jetting. Any suggestions are appreciated on finding a happy medium.

Thanks in advance for all your help,

buff

My bike started nearly perfectly every time while riding the Durty Dabbers D/S last weekend (Mid PA). IMO, it all lies in good jetting. I had a 168 MJ, JD red #4, 48 PJ and fuel screw tuned as the day goes on (between 1 and 2.5). If anything, maybe the main was a bit too rich, as it was a little hotter than I expected, but generally it ran great.