How to make your hard stock seat soft

When it comes to modern stock dirt bike seats they all seem a bit hard to me on the trail and as a result I reupholstered both my DRZs and my RM 100 seats with Guts Tall Soft foam and covers which worked well. But I realized that not only did I have to spend $100 for the supplies but also was left with perfectly good stock seat cushions and covers I could no longer use. So this time I decided to try and use the old cushion and cover before investing more money. Surely if a seat cushion can be trimmed down with a razor to make it lower it can also be made softer by Swiss cheesing the cushion with a drill gun. The results were better then I expected with no visible changes once the seat cover was replaced. The key is to not drill through the plastic seat frame and to be aggressive but not overdue it. Its now defiantly softer and yet not compromised and not bottoming out. So I guess I saved myself $100.

z0ZrV7ukHH-mVBKW++bJgjDJeIcXcFc10300.jpg

9vEusYXqvB0BUbD7GFSzIAseBnuagdnB0300.jpg

• Like 1

I recommend leaving the foam on the plastic frame for the drilling, careful NOT to drill through the plastic. Use about a 3/8 inch drill on high speed and drill each hole once and deep without letting the drill dance and make the hole too big. Don't worry if it initially looks like the hole stayed closed, just keep the pattern up even on the top then the sides. Then go back with a needle nose pliers and pull out the foam from each hole or if you feel lucky use the drill but be careful you don't let it dance too large a hole. If you do make a hole too big or the drill dances a big curve, just leave it alone and fill it back with some droppings. Before replacing the cover try the seat out to make sure its holly enough then replace the cover. Took me about 30 minutes watching TV, a beer and a vacuum. ?

When it comes to modern stock dirt bike seats they all seem a bit hard to me on the trail and as a result I reupholstered both my DRZs and my RM 100 seats with Guts Tall Soft foam and covers which worked well. But I realized that not only did I have to spend $100 for the supplies but also was left with perfectly good stock seat cushions and covers I could no longer use. So this time I decided to try and use the old cushion and cover before investing more money. Surely if a seat cushion can be trimmed down with a razor to make it lower it can also be made softer by Swiss cheesing the cushion with a drill gun. The results were better then I expected with no visible changes once the seat cover was replaced. The key is to not drill through the plastic seat frame and to be aggressive but not overdue it. Its now defiantly softer and yet not compromised and not bottoming out. So I guess I saved myself $100.

z0ZrV7ukHH-mVBKW++bJgjDJeIcXcFc10300.jpg

9vEusYXqvB0BUbD7GFSzIAseBnuagdnB0300.jpg

That’s nice it worked for you. I have a buddy that has a 525 and he tried the same thing and he said it made no difference at all. He ended up buying an aftermarket seat after all. Maybe there is a difference in the foam hardness from a Honda to a KTM. ?

More holes, especially sideways. I haven't done any long ride test yet but its worth a try for free if the seat is a toss out anyway. But I don't think it will compare with a Guts soft foam, we'll see, I have some other tricks I will try and post before replacing the seat for bucks.

I have a buddy that has a 525 and he tried the same thing and he said it made no difference at all. He ended up buying an aftermarket seat after all. Maybe there is a difference in the foam hardness from a Honda to a KTM. ?

The stock seat will get softer over time but it is far from cush. I'm using a Guts soft foam under a Guts cover and it is much better.

I dont care for the guts seat. It reminds me of a soaked watercraft/snowmobile seat or even like sitting with a pile of crap in your pants. Which i havent done in many, many years

Well I took my new 06 x out for ride with my modified stock seat and I must say I noticed it took the edge off that board feeling and could actually feel it squishing in the bumps. I also noticed it took the bite off my inner thighs. Now to set the suspension back a few notches for a plusher ride. I was thinking of taking off some pre load, dampening and rebound. Anybody have the KTM settings for a plusher ride on their x?

Oh I know I'm was just being sarcastic since KTM owners hang their hats on the bike's plush ride. Personally I found them no more plush then my old DRZ at slower speeds of course. One great thing about the DRZ, it was a camel, but a camel you could ride for almost 8 hours without the need for monkey butt recovery next day.

I'm just trying to find as plush a sweet spot as I can on my new x and thought some old owner out their might have recipe LOL.

ktms are different forks. The settings dont compare

I dont care for the guts seat. It reminds me of a soaked watercraft/snowmobile seat or even like sitting with a pile of crap in your pants. Which i havent done in many, many years

Yeah, but when you are my age sh!tting in your pants feels natural. I find the Guts soft seat foam really nice compared to stock but that damn gripper seat cover takes some getting used to and it a pain in the arse to put on.

Rather then waste a new thread on suspension which is in line with soft seats, I will add that I got my shocks tuned for a 50 year old man mode as I only stand up when necessary. Lowered the dampening in the front shocks 4 clicks and increased the rebound 1 click. On the rear I dropped preload to minimum spec of 10.25 inches and then increased high speed dampening within 1/2 turn of maximum and low speed dampening increased by 1 click from default spec. The ride is now plush yet compliant for my old ass and I can go pretty fast down the goat trails standing for the occasional protruding rock with comfort. After it brakes in I will have to reset it again as I notice it. But for now its a hell of allot plusher.?

Ouch I can almost feel his post race pain. the problem is no matter how good a shape you are in at 50 the connective tissue just ant what its used to be and one good high speed endow and the sport you could have enjoyed for another 10-15 years in slow mode is "game over man" and although the same thing could happen trail riding, at race speed its allot more damage after age 40 and especially after age 50. So like my 92 Nissan pickup with 189,000 miles, I'm easy on the machinery and saving myself for the next 20 years LOL.

HAHAHAHA! Easy on the age thing, Gunner:naughty: I know a guy who is 50 years old who still finishes top 5 OA almost all the time amongst the very fastest desert racers in the world.....no joke:thumbsup: