cheap metal on new bikes?

I have stripped out sever nuts recently on my 07 WR. I have NEVER stripped one on my 01 WR, has any one else had problems? I am just wondering if Yami is using a lighter/cheaper metal for screws/nuts?

Are you using a torque wrench? I won't even approach my bike without one. Well...maybe with the exception of that one oil drain bolt on the right side which is to close to the frame, and I just cant get the torque wrench in there.

My buddy stripped a few screws on his CRF -- He didn't have a torque wrench at the time.

Only problem I've had was with the top bolt on the rear shock when I went to torque it to spec after greasing the linkage. But, that was more likely due to the fact that I had gotten a little grease on the threads than it being bad metal. :thumbsup: Life's tough... its tougher if you're stupid.

You just have to take care with it mate.......

I have stripped out sever nuts recently on my 07 WR. I have NEVER stripped one on my 01 WR, has any one else had problems? I am just wondering if Yami is using a lighter/cheaper metal for screws/nuts?

But to answer your question, yes. But it's not just Yamaha. All of the Japanese manufacturers are trying to save weight anywhere they can.

The shroud bolts on my CRF450X were made of tinfoil (or so it seemed.)

Even if you are careful, and use a torque wrench, you can still bung 'em up.

:smirk:Also, Gorillas with wrenches and modern day machinery don't mix too well:smirk:

I think the quality of the metals may have gone down since the 05 hit the market, I have several people comment since on bolts snapping etc and it seems to be from 05 on.