xr 600 oil pump not lifting oil to head

Hi, My 96 xr 600 siezed a gudgeon pin to the conrod resulting in engine damage. I have since repaired with all new parts. On re building the engine I could not get oil to the top of the engine. I tried compressed air into frame to push oil through(air came through but no oil), squeezy bottle with oil direct to pump, filling oil filter casing with oil but still no success. Believing it was the pump at fault I bought a genuine honda pump. My bike is still the same no oil to top of engine. The oil hoses are all clear no kinks, breathers are fine, hoses are correctly connected I think..short one from bottom of frame to inside of pump and long one from top of frame to outside of pump, breather from head to side of frame at top... Please help before I get divorced.........

Many thanks

Sometimes it is diffucult to get the oil pump primed. The method that works for me is to remove the oil reservoir feed line from the front of the engine and use a pump oil can to force oil into the oil pump, squirt in a liberal amount. Replace the oil line and loosen the banjo fitting on the oil feed line going from the crankcase to the cylinder head. Start the engine and watch to see that oil is flowing out of the loose banjo fitting, this should happen within a few seconds of starting the engine. If there is no oil flow, the oil pump is not pumping.

Did you clean the downtube screen? I would agree with the priming issue, if that don't do it, check each step of the way in the oiling system, including blowing thru rubber hoses, I had them swell the inner liner on my Suzuki 1150.

Maybe your first engine trouble was caused by a faulty oil pump. I would open up the clutch side case and check if the screen filter is clogged. And while your there have a look at the pump if its in good condition.

Martin

Hi, I believed the pump to be faulty so I bought a new genuine honda one. Still no success. There is a small dowel pipe with an o ring seal that fits into the casing and into the side of the pump. Right where the oil goes up to the filter. I noticed that mine is slightly damaged. I tried to order one from honda but they have no knowledge of the part. I can get oil up to the head by using a squeezy bottle direct to the pump but when I start engine I loose the pressure. The saga continues.. Thanks

On my last engine assembly, it took about 90 seconds for oil to reach the top banjo bolt. I guess that's why they sepc moly grease for the cam and valve train.

Ok... on further investigation I can get the pump to prime with the squeezy bottle and can get oil to the top no problem however when I remove the bottle and connect the pipes I loose the pressure and the oil stops going to the head. So its an oil pressure issue and not the pump at fault... The saga continues again... many thanks Derek

I went thru this very same sinario on my 87 xr 600. How much oil are expecting to see at the head? do you have any at all or none? It should NOT build any PRESSURE it will only create flow at the head. at idle warm engine about a cup of oil evry 10 to 20 seconds. you almost have to take the line off completely to measure this. More FYI there are two spots where oil can bleed off before going to your head. One is the oring between the right side cover and the oil pump. The second place is a seal pressed into the right side cover that seals around the end of the crankshaft. Those MUST be in good shape. another good test is to take the oil filter out, leave the filter cover off and just kick the bike over without starting it and see if oil squirts up to there.if you don't mind the mess you could start it. There you should have pressure.

Obligatory

"the little cap didn't fall out the rt-end of the countershaft, did it?"

post.

Dave

Hi, Thanks for all your help......

I have no oil at all from the banjo bolt at the head. I have left it for some time running to see if it will come up but it doesnt. Under pressure from the squeezy bottle it flows fine but when I remove the bottle reconnect the pipe it stops. I have replaced the holder and seal(fits into side of pump and into casing for oil flow to filter) and still no success.

All pipes are clear and oil is flowing around system fine. When the bike is not running and I remove the oil feed pipe from the pump and kick the bike over the oil pumps out of the frame. I assume this means there are no restrictions in the line? I will try removing the filter cover and kicking over bike. I will check the blank on the countershaft also thanks but I thinks its in place. Do I need to remove clutch to check it or should I see it with casing off?

When I loosen the banjo bolt at the head all I hear is air hissing out. Is this to be expected or is it an indication what is wrong?

Thanks again Derek

Hi, Took oil filter cover off and kicked it over.. No oil coming up.. Thanks

I usually take the ignition plug out open the banjo bolt at the crank case

and kick it a few times,every kick you will see oil gushing out of the banjo bolt.I would check if oil is reaching the pump,could be something is blocked with debris

Take a close look at the oil line coming off the down tube in the frame. If it is not clocked (turned) at the right angle it will kink. This is barely noticeable and will cause all the problems you are having. Some years the clamp plate is keyed and the line will only go on one way. If yours is not, loosen the clamp and the flare nut on the strainer nut, make sure the oil line is not kinked before you tighten them up. If your is the keyed type, just loosen the flare fitting, take it off, then put it back, making sure the line is not kinked. If you attach the flare first, then bend the line to the block, you will kink the line.

RT

Hi, Thanks for all your help.. Here is the final instalment of my xr sage... I pulled off feed oil pipe. All fine there I have the keyed one and it was fine. ook the casing and clutch off. Blank in countershaft fine also. Small internal oil pipe didnt look seated right so I fixed that. Pup it all back together and it went fine.. So to sum it up I am not excactly sure what it was but its fine now. Thanks to all who pitched in any ideas.. Thanks Derek.. safe riding

Hi, Thanks for all your help.. Here is the final instalment of my xr sage... I pulled off feed oil pipe. All fine there I have the keyed one and it was fine. ook the casing and clutch off. Blank in countershaft fine also. Small internal oil pipe didnt look seated right so I fixed that. Pup it all back together and it went fine.. So to sum it up I am not excactly sure what it was but its fine now. Thanks to all who pitched in any ideas.. Thanks Derek.. safe riding

Great! Perserverance does pay off. :thumbsup:

Good thing you kept checking! Saving your new rebuild!