HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teamsuzuki15

What would you do?/Good Price?

4 posts in this topic

My friend is thinking about buying a 2004 YZ 450 for $1000. It seems to be in good shape but the guy says it needs new valves. And if it needs valves then it probably needs a new piston also and a new timing chain. And who knows if the head has been cut already because if it has, won't he have to buy a whole new head also? because you can't cut the valve seats twice. He is 16 years old; as am I and if he buys it we would probably do most of the work ourselves we are hoping anyway. We would have to get someone to install the valves, cut the seats and maybe hone the cylinder. Other than that we would try doing it ourselves. So how much would it cost for new valves, piston, timing chain, and maybe a head, gaskets, ect. (pretty much a whole new top end). Do you think it is worth buying right now in this condition and then having to rebuild it. I just don't want him to buy it then not be able to do the work ourselves and him not being able to ride it because he would have to hand out a s**t load of money to a mechanic. Tell me what you guys think.

If I were in your shoes and felt that it was in good condition besides needing the topend I'd do it. If you buy another bike you'll ride it till you have problems,with this bike you know the problem and you'll fix it right up front.

In the long run you'll have a bike that you can trust.

Even after the valves you'll be getting a pretty good deal.:thumbsup:

Any advice you need is a mouse click and a TT member away!:)

And who knows if the head has been cut already because if it has, won't he have to buy a whole new head also? because you can't cut the valve seats twice.
Who says you can't? In the first place, unless it's been raced twice a week since it was new, it's probably never had the valves done. Second, the valve seats rarely need very much material removed from them, so you can probably touch them up several times without problems, if you're careful. The valve guides are most likely OK, too, but be sure they are, or the new valves will wear more quickly than they should.

My friend is thinking about buying a 2004 YZ 450 for $1000. It seems to be in good shape but the guy says it needs new valves. And if it needs valves then it probably needs a new piston also and a new timing chain. And who knows if the head has been cut already because if it has, won't he have to buy a whole new head also? because you can't cut the valve seats twice. He is 16 years old; as am I and if he buys it we would probably do most of the work ourselves we are hoping anyway. We would have to get someone to install the valves, cut the seats and maybe hone the cylinder. Other than that we would try doing it ourselves. So how much would it cost for new valves, piston, timing chain, and maybe a head, gaskets, ect. (pretty much a whole new top end). Do you think it is worth buying right now in this condition and then having to rebuild it. I just don't want him to buy it then not be able to do the work ourselves and him not being able to ride it because he would have to hand out a s**t load of money to a mechanic. Tell me what you guys think.

what...valve seats can be done more than once....1000.00 is a good price if this is all it needs:thumbsup: