wr450 stator / charging issue

I have an 04 wr450 and am having an issue with the charging / stator or voltage regulator. i read some threads on the wr450's but was wondering if anyone knows if the bike needs to be at 5000rpm for the stator to send out 13+ volts.

i tested from the lead off the stator (before the v regulator) and only saw increase in voltage around 14 when it was well up in rpm.

this doesn;t seem normal and i can;t keep the front wheel on the ground riding like that :thumbsup:

I have an 04 wr450 and am having an issue with the charging / stator or voltage regulator. i read some threads on the wr450's but was wondering if anyone knows if the bike needs to be at 5000rpm for the stator to send out 13+ volts.

i tested from the lead off the stator (before the v regulator) and only saw increase in voltage around 14 when it was well up in rpm.

this doesn;t seem normal and i can;t keep the front wheel on the ground riding like that :thumbsup:

Welcome to TT!

The first thing I would look at is the battery. If you could swap in another charged battery for testing your voltage readings vs rpm might be quite different.

Just a guess but your battery voltage might be 11 - 12ish Volts after the bike has sat for an hour right now...

Yeah this TT is great.

I had 11.4 volts after the ride when the bike was running so I charged it up and now it's reading 12.4 running so I think the battery is good.

It's the reading i get direct from the stator and that i need to run the rpm so high to read it charging. I read a few pulled it off and cleaned it - maybe that is what's up with mine?

Thanks for the feedback.

...I think the battery is good.

My guess is no.

Experiment with a car / truck. It works the same.

my wag would be a shorted cell.