2006 yz450f: Step Seat Question

Hey guys, I recently just got the a 2006 yz450f. The bike is the best bike that I have ever ridden. Anyways, I was just wondering if anybody has used a SDG step seat? I only ask because I find myself riding on the tank a lot. Just wondering how they fit and if anybody likes them or thinks that they help. Thanks.?:ride:?

I hope that someone has tried this out, I'm only 5'6" and I'm on my tiptoes at the starting gate. Once I'm rolling then it's all good. I've been looking at buying this seat but would like some feedback on it first.

I hope that someone has tried this out, I'm only 5'6" and I'm on my tiptoes at the starting gate. Once I'm rolling then it's all good. I've been looking at buying this seat but would like some feedback on it first.

I am in your boat at 5'7 man. The SGD step seat is not lower then stock in the front part, it is higher then stock in the rear part to make the step. I have a buddy with one on his crf. He also said the foam is pretty hard in it. You could do what I did and shave your seat foam .75''

All you do is take the cover off, mark a line on both sides of the foam where you want to cut, and use an electric fillet knife to cut. Using your lines as a guide makes it very easy. Then just take some sandpaper to the edges to round them and reinstall your seat cover. It took me less then an hour. And cost me a whole $2 for the fillet knife from the used thrift store.

Here is a pic you can kinda tell how much I removed, and it made a little step in the back.

Kodak149.jpg

I am in your boat at 5'7 man. The SGD step seat is not lower then stock in the front part, it is higher then stock in the rear part to make the step. I have a buddy with one on his crf. He also said the foam is pretty hard in it. You could do what I did and shave your seat foam .75''

All you do is take the cover off, mark a line on both sides of the foam where you want to cut, and use an electric fillet knife to cut. Using your lines as a guide makes it very easy. Then just take some sandpaper to the edges to round them and reinstall your seat cover. It took me less then an hour. And cost me a whole $2 for the fillet knife from the used thrift store.

Here is a pic you can kinda tell how much I removed, and it made a little step in the back.

Kodak149.jpg

Ditto, I have done four seats now, two for me and two for others. They work out really well. I use a stiff hand saw, and do just like the above post says. I make a bit bigger step, but do whatever you like. ?

i ordered a seat from sdg and i was really dissapointed about how poorly it bolted on. Now keep in mind this wasnt a step seat but it probably would be just as a pain on the step seat. I would just make one personally i wont get anything else from SDG

No complaints at all here. I love it on my 06. It actually bolts up better than my stocker did. I race OFFROAD, and the step is not too stiff. It is great for holding you in the sweetspot climbing those rutted out rocky silt hills we use out here in Ca. desert. I'm lookin to sell the 06 YZ right now and take the seat with me to put on a new WR450. Along with a steering stabilizer the step seat is going to be on all my bikes.

I've seen the seat but haven't ridden with it. The seat itself looked very nice, durable and fit well etc. Here's the issue, I liked it, thought I'de just buy myself one, but GOOD LUCK. They are out of stock everywhere I've tried, even SDG.

If anyone knows a source, spill it!

i ordered a seat from sdg and i was really dissapointed about how poorly it bolted on. Now keep in mind this wasnt a step seat but it probably would be just as a pain on the step seat. I would just make one personally i wont get anything else from SDG

I assume you are referring to the rather large gap between the rear of the seat and the subframe/rear fender? This can be fixed easily with a deadweight/sledgehammer. Just pound down on each bracket (not so much force to break it) - top of seat while it is mounted/bolted on. This will fix it every time.....SDG has never got the brackets to fit like a stock seat:banghead:

Chalk one more vote up for SDG's poor quality. It did feel like it helped as far as not letting me sit to far back but the brackets were not even close, the foam was very firm and the stiching was starting to come apart after about 2 hours. Add that to the fact i had to basically recover it to get it to look half way decent, wrinkles everywhere! Very disapointing based on how much i liked the MTB stuff.