HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stonewall

Dual Sport Riding in Western Virginia

14 posts in this topic

I left my farm in Western VA this past Saturday and headed west.

Storms and wind have made a bad mess of some of the trails and made some of them nearly impossible to get through. Hundreds of downed trees and wet conditions weren't the perfect way to start things off but I made the best of it. I crossed into WV and started working my way across the Monongahela Natl. Forest. I stopped to rest at the Sinks of Gandy for awhile then kept working towards the High Falls of Cheat. It was an absolutely perfect day with great weather and scenery. I rolled out of the woods and had lunch then continued on toward Snowshoe. After crossing the scary rail bridge near Old Spruce, I turned toward home. I stopped for a rest at Camp Allegheny then crossed the 3 mountains seperating me from home. No wrecks, 109 miles, just a great day. I went out again on Monday and it was lots of the same stuff as Saturday. 79 more miles of rocks, logs, scenery, and fun. It was wet and slick when I started out but got much better as the day went on. Came back to the farm later on and rode with my wife and son for a couple of hours. Lot of jumps, hill climbs, wheelies, and more fun. The best days I've had in a while.:thumbsup:

Here are some pics.

649.jpg

646.jpg

645.jpg

647.jpg

642.jpg

6410.jpg

648.jpg

6413.jpg

6411.jpg

6206.jpg

6302.jpg

6201.jpg

6202.jpg

6203.jpg

Nice ride! I recently moved to Pocahontas County and the area is incredible! I recently dual sported my XR400 and I've been itching to hit the dirt around here. Maybe we could ride together some time!

Brandon

Nice ride! I recently moved to Pocahontas County and the area is incredible! I recently dual sported my XR400 and I've been itching to hit the dirt around here. Maybe we could ride together some time!

Brandon

Let me know when you want to ride. Pocahontas County is one of my favorite places. :thumbsup:

cool pics..i only live 3.5 hours away from elkins/durbin, i got some friends with alot of property but its all cow paths and tractor trails 740 acres and nothing to play on (

maby we should get the hook up sometime, if your very familiar with the area it is on back mtn road between cass and durbin

I live in California but I gotta say ~ Thats Beautiful. I'd love to ride in an area like that!! :thumbsup:

cool pics..i only live 3.5 hours away from elkins/durbin, i got some friends with alot of property but its all cow paths and tractor trails 740 acres and nothing to play on (

maby we should get the hook up sometime, if your very familiar with the area it is on back mtn road between cass and durbin

I'm pretty familiar with that area. I ran a little section of Back Mtn. Road on this ride. I live about an hour from Durbin. Let me know when you're out this way and we'll ride.:thumbsup:

I'ld love to chat with you about places to ride in Pocahontas County. I take my daughter up there to ride the choo choo train and love the possibilities but don't know much about what trails are open. I ride the Shenandoah 500 every year too and wonder how you get from that area to Cass/Spruce.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Beautifull country, great pics. I have been thinking of heading out that way to do some riding. Looks great!!

Mike :thumbsup::ride:

I'ld love to chat with you about places to ride in Pocahontas County. I take my daughter up there to ride the choo choo train and love the possibilities but don't know much about what trails are open. I ride the Shenandoah 500 every year too and wonder how you get from that area to Cass/Spruce.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

I'm about half way between the Shen. 500 area and the Cass area. There are several different ways to connect the two depending on how difficult you want your ride. From the Reddish Knob area it's pretty easy to get all the way over into Pocahontas Co. WV on forest service roads. Once you get in WV you can ride dirt for miles in all directions.

what town are you close to

I'm about 1 hour west of Staunton. There are less than 4 people per sq. mile out here and the riding goes on forever if you have a plated bike.:thumbsup:

Haha. This would get you SHOT in Cali....

6413.jpg

That's a beautiful area! Thanks.:thumbsup: