HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caliwakeboarder

2005 yz450f

6 posts in this topic

ok im buying my first 4 stroke tommorow.im buying a used o5 yz450f. the only upgrades are hanguards and frame guards. what issues do i need to look out for with an 05? any help is much app:excuseme:

They are a pretty solid model!

I don't think they had anything to look out for as such, apart from the normal used bike wear and tear.

I would just do the normal new bike stuff:

1. Grease all the bearings

2. Check the valve clearances

3. Set the bike up for yourself

... oh yeah... don't forget to :thumbsup:

It's really hard checking out any used bike, but I've gone through it a couple times and here are some things I've always tried to focus on checking ...

First ... Just take it out for a quick spin ... Check the feel for the brakes, clutch, and all the gears ... Where's the suspension set at (set-up for you, or a lighter/heavier rider) ...

Second ... Does it have a Title or Cert of Origin (only matters if you need/want it) ... Does it look maintained in general ... Throw it up on a stand and quickly check the wheel bearings, fork seals, sprockets and chain, swing arm/linkage slop ... How's the oil look (use a paper towel to really see the color, the dipstick can be deceiving) ... Where's the coolant level at and does it look clean ... Pull the air-filter and check it out top and bottom as well as checking if there's any crap in the base of the air box or not ...

I bring a roll of paper towels and some misc tools in the base of a stand so that I can do everything myself without having to ask anything of the owner ... The more effort you put into checking it all out, the better you'll feel when you plunk down a few grand on your new toy ...

thank you for all the replys. I ended up buying it from the guy. the bike was in great condition, started and idled perfect. no leaks everything felt tight. the bike still ahs the stock stickers on the fenders. I feel like I got a great deal. im ready to tear it down so i can tear it up.

ok im buying my first 4 stroke tommorow.im buying a used o5 yz450f. the only upgrades are hanguards and frame guards. what issues do i need to look out for with an 05? any help is much app:excuseme:

I had my o5 front forks serviced by a local shop here in Phoenix and was told that the front forks had a negative rebound issue/problem. Not a major issue but remember that next time you service them to have shims installed.