Stator install

I put in a new stator and now my bike only idles. Can a stator be installed wrong, or can i have the wrong one? It has the color matched wiring harness but i have to have the wire hooked up oppisite to get any spark at all.?

Where did you get the stator/brand?

I installed the YZ stator per Trailtech advice, and converted system over to 100% DC, and had no problems, save for the initial headache of pinning out wires to the proper destination. Also, I had to change out the Voltage regulator; as the stock one is a AC/DC, trailtechs is a DC/DC. Hope this helps???

I put in a new stator and now my bike only idles. Can a stator be installed wrong, or can i have the wrong one? It has the color matched wiring harness but i have to have the wire hooked up oppisite to get any spark at all.?

Assuming this is a correct stock stator, check the simple things first like the connections to the CDI and regulator.

Its a dennis kirk stator, only one listed for the bike. There are only 2 connections, w/y w/p. Now the stock one was w/y to w/y, w/p to w/p. Now this one it will not make any spark that way, but when i switched the connectoins w/y to w/p both ways it would make spark. But it only idles and it idles a little weird tho.

Its a dennis kirk stator, only one listed for the bike. There are only 2 connections, w/y w/p. Now the stock one was w/y to w/y, w/p to w/p. Now this one it will not make any spark that way, but when i switched the connectoins w/y to w/p both ways it would make spark. But it only idles and it idles a little weird tho.

Depending on the actual brand of stator, you might need their regulator/rectifier also.

I have the regulator from the baha dual sport kit on it. Will the stator actually cause it to idle but not do anything else? I would think it would either run or not run. Do you think from the bike laying on its side for a week it something in the carb can be the issue, like small piece of dirt got in something?

Well i talked to a tech guy from dennis kirk, told him that i have the baha kit and there rectifier, and told him whats goin on. He said the part will work together, and also that if im gettin spark the stator is working fine. He thinks its somehwere else either carb or a short somewhere. I pulled the jets checked the carb bes that i can and everything seems fine still nothing. I noticed tho now if i let it idle crappy for a bout 3 minutes and pull the plug its covered in carbon. I dont know what to do now.

Did your bike run fine before you installed this part? The stator charges the battery and also powers the ac system like the lights. The pick up coil for the ignition is the small black unit that bolts on the outside of the stator. Did you convert your bike to DC only power? or are you just replacing the stator?

I thought i put that in right but ill definately check it out again. It has 2 tabs that sit in the bolt holes and thats how i stuck it in. It has great spark it when you crank with the plug out but its definately missing at idle and will not rev up. It wont change with the choke or the idle screw its stuck at a certain rmp and its not the normal idle rpm.

Well i took the stator and pick up out again and checked everything. Nothing looked wrong to me. I am at a loss now and starting to get mad. i got nothing but a bad idle. So one said that the timing c=may get messed up when doint a stator swap on a nother forum. I dont see how but can that be possible? I dont know what else to do.

I had a 87 Interceptor that did the same thing and it was the CDI box. It would start up and idle but at about 1000 rpm it sounded like the rev limiter kicked in ??? I took it in to my local shop and found that the CDI box was bad...is there a test to see if the CDI is bad?

I cant see that being bad yet the bike only has 129 miles on it spent a lot of time sitting last year cause i broke my foot and 4 ribs. Ill see what my friend thinks hes back from vacation but if he doesnt have any ideas i guess im gonna have to dump it at a shop becuase Im lost.

Ok heres the latest. We figured the cdi pick up was bad, so we replaced the new one with the stock one. Put the wires back to w/y to w/y and w/p tp w/p(other way was picking up power from stator and not suposed to that way) and no spark. When holding the cdi pick up in your hand and striking a screwdriver over it i can make spark. As soon as you put it back in the bike it wont spark. Cant understand why. We know the pick up is good because you can get spark with the screw driver. I am assuming the cdi box is still good if you can make spark that way. If anyone knows a way to test the cdi box id appreciate it. I dont know what else to do, everything checks out good but it wont work in the bike. im ready to lose it soon every yamaha i get i rub unto a problem with it.

What was the original reason for replacing the stator and why did you go aftermarket, price? I replaced my stator a few months ago per the book with no results as I had a shorted out headlight bulb. This is all in another thread but the bike was charging at 12.5v with the original working bulb plugged in and now is perfect (14.6v) with a new bulb. Anyhow, if you need a stator and want an OEM for a good price, PM me, it's still in the box. Anyone need a perfect OEM regulator/rectifier I have that too. Good luck.

The original reason was because of the dual sport kit. they say the stock one wont charge the battery with the kit, unless you mod it with out messing it up which i did. I put the stock cdi pick up in with the new stator and it wont signal off the genorator wheel. If you hold the pick up in your hand and strike across it with a screw driver it will make spark, but in the bike it wont.

Well if anyone has anymore ideas im all ears. I put the bike back to stock except for the new stator and still dont get any spark. everything else work on the bike either way but the spark plug. I dont know what to do now.?