Water crossing ? with a XR650R

Afternoon Everyone!

Here's the deal...I live in Wisconsin (sea levelish) and done a lot of water crossing without a hitch. I went to Montana (4000+) to visit my dad and was doing some riding. I noticed a little power drop but not much. The problem was doing a water crossing...about half way across the water she sputtered a little bit and this is the first time this has happened...considering the fact that I wasn't expecting it and I was standing at the time I almost ran myself over. As soon as I was out of the water all was back to normal. She would still would start on one kick and run smooth. This happened at almost every substantial water crossing.

I guess my ? is has this happened to anyone before? Have a ride this weekend and it has been raining everyday and expecting a lot of water...would like to resolve before I run myself over and drowned. Could it be a elevation thing?

Thanks in advance!

I'd take the stator cover off and see if maybe some water got in where the wire comes out. I sealed that with silicone on my bike and I do a lot of water crossings without problems.

Afternoon Everyone!

Here's the deal...I live in Wisconsin (sea levelish) and done a lot of water crossing without a hitch. I went to Montana (4000+) to visit my dad and was doing some riding. I noticed a little power drop but not much. The problem was doing a water crossing...about half way across the water she sputtered a little bit and this is the first time this has happened...considering the fact that I wasn't expecting it and I was standing at the time I almost ran myself over. As soon as I was out of the water all was back to normal. She would still would start on one kick and run smooth. This happened at almost every substantial water crossing.

I guess my ? is has this happened to anyone before? Have a ride this weekend and it has been raining everyday and expecting a lot of water...would like to resolve before I run myself over and drowned. Could it be a elevation thing?

Thanks in advance!

If the water is deep... like over the bottom of the air box, then yes, water will easily seep through the side plate and through the filter and into the airbox. If it is below this then you shouldn't have any problems! Hard to believe water can get into your stator unless the case is cracked or installed wrong. Even if water does get into the stator it will take a lot to cause a problem. Also, if the stator was a problem it wouldn't be OK after you get out of the water crossing as the water would still be inside the case. My guess is air box.

For sure not up to the air box...water was foot peg height at best. That is why I am puzzled. Right after I got out of the water a couple of times I would turn the bike off to get a couple of pictures of people coming behind me and jump back on and fire the first kick. I did check all the stator stuff and all looks good there.

That is why I was wondering if elevation had a effect...hot bike...cold stream...I don't know none of it makes sense.

Come on guys keep them coming!!!