Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FoolishMortal

Engine braking - essential tool or the Devil's work?

5 posts in this topic

I have my first dirt bike, a '94 XR600r. I bought it mostly for street duty (dual-sported, plated) and very light dirt (trails, fire roads). I'm used to my SV1000s street bike - a big ol' v-twin with tons of engine braking , which I love. I'm pretty smooth with the clutch/throttle as I downshift and set entry speed, but am I doing harm to the XR's transmission in the process? I assume that the tranny wasn't built to handle the "grab" that asphalt puts on the tire...

I may have to learn a new riding style. :)

What say the elders? :thumbsup:

Engine braking is one of the benefits of a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke. Do not hesitate to take full advantage of the charateristic. Ride it like you stole it. Some of the early XR6's had a weak thrid gear, but it was sorted out before 94.

The rear tire will break loose, before the trans gets hurt.

Engine braking is one of the benefits of a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke. Do not hesitate to take full advantage of the charateristic. Ride it like you stole it. Some of the early XR6's had a weak thrid gear, but it was sorted out before 94.

yep dam straight....i duno wot i would do with out engine braking !!!!!! i would miss it so much....ride it like u stole it......

Already done. Much less scary on the XR :ride: than on the SV. :)

Thanks guys. :thumbsup: