Getting My New Wr450 Friday,im Fired Up !

After getting great advice from many of you,and much research on my own I found a hellava deal (I THINK) on a new WR450. Out the door for 6400. Is that a good deal ? 5900 total plus tax.Picking it up Friday night.Its gonna be a fun weekend, I feel like a kid at Christmas.Im going to leave it alone for a little while,but id like to do the basics thats talked about here on TT in a month or so. Im a little confused about what to do,so im really gonna research this forum hard.All help is welcomed. Thanks to all on this forum who have already helped. bob

• Like 1

yeah you got a pretty good deal on it... i payed $7000 OTD for mine. well worth it though. as far as mods go i wouldn't do any untill its broke in. the one major thing that i felt was necessary to make the bike more enjoyable (and safer) was replacing the throttle screw with the one form the YZ. everytime i would launch off a jump or go through whoops i couldn't keep the nose up because of the lack of throttle. once i did that mod though i can control it alot better in the air and over the whoop sections.

i bought the GYTR kit which came with the screw and the AIS removal stuff, and jets (sorry TT store). i rode it like that for a while then took the baffle out of the exhuast, and what a difference that made! they really choked down the exhuast from factory.

well have fun riding your new bike!

Yep, that's a good deal, bob - wish I had discovered this site before I bought mine. Concur - LOTS of good info here for you to absorb before going down the mod road. Like you said, I'd read the sticky's and all performance threads, which will give you an idea of what directions you can go.

I agree with the previous post- the throttle stop was the most significant improvement right off the bat. I also elected to go with the JD kit / ZipTy fuel screw and PMB insert for now with all free mods. Bike starts on the first kick every time and rages. But, like many, I did the mods gradually over time. Bottom line- you're going to really like your new bike! Congrats.

Mark

After getting great advice from many of you,and much research on my own I found a hellava deal (I THINK) on a new WR450. Out the door for 6400. Is that a good deal ? 5900 total plus tax.Picking it up Friday night.Its gonna be a fun weekend, I feel like a kid at Christmas.Im going to leave it alone for a little while,but id like to do the basics thats talked about here on TT in a month or so. Im a little confused about what to do,so im really gonna research this forum hard.All help is welcomed. Thanks to all on this forum who have already helped. bob

Prowler,

Sorry for the hijack, but do you mind if I ask how much riding experience you have and what made you chose the WR450? Ive narrowed my list down to either the 250 or the 450, but I just cant decide between them.

Thanks,

Daniel

Prowler,

Sorry for the hijack, but do you mind if I ask how much riding experience you have and what made you chose the WR450? Ive narrowed my list down to either the 250 or the 450, but I just cant decide between them.

Thanks,

Daniel

Im 48, Ive got a 700 lb Harley Fatboy now. In the past ive owned a KLX650 , DR400 , Husky 610 , a KX500 , 2 Kaw Z1000s and others. For me Dan,I would not get the small 250.You will either be disappointed in the power right away,or youll out grow it.Unless your very light,150 lbs or so.Im 210,so the small stuff if out of the Question.Get the 450,and grow into it. Bob

Prowler,

Thanks,

Daniel

also, ive researched the big four over the last year, and most mags.,and those on this forum agree that the wr450 is tops in most areas.but, I HATE THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE TO MAKE ALL THESE MODIFICATIONS TO MAKE THE THING PERFORM. bob

Thanks,

Ive been leaning more to the 450 for just that reason. I'm new to the dirt, but been riding street for ~15 years. Current street bike is a Harley Heritage Classic Softtail. I'm 32, 6-0, and 190. 450 it is then.

Just got to get all the dang ducks to line up. Seems like whenever Im down to the last one, a couple more step out of line!

Thanks again.

Thanks,

Ive been leaning more to the 450 for just that reason. I'm new to the dirt, but been riding street for ~15 years. Current street bike is a Harley Heritage Classic Softtail. I'm 32, 6-0, and 190. 450 it is then.

Just got to get all the dang ducks to line up. Seems like whenever Im down to the last one, a couple more step out of line!

Thanks again.

Thats a great Harley,Ive got a 2003 Fatboy( 100th ann.). Ill tell you what Dan,you can handle a big heavy Harley so a dirtbike is gonna be a piece of cake.They still demand respect of course. Im getting my WR450 on friday,theyve got a 6 month no interest,no payment deal that Im gonna do.That gives me time to sell my 1968 Firebird 400, which I totally restored and dont drive. bob

great torque on the 450..but a good rider(big or small) on a 250 ? will eat you on the single track and thick bush...i got a 450 tho...lol...look fer barkbusters fer sure ..specially after all mods...or stick to the open...good buy and deal...have fun

yeah you got a pretty good deal on it... i payed $7000 OTD for mine. well worth it though. as far as mods go i wouldn't do any untill its broke in. the one major thing that i felt was necessary to make the bike more enjoyable (and safer) was replacing the throttle screw with the one form the YZ. everytime i would launch off a jump or go through whoops i couldn't keep the nose up because of the lack of throttle. once i did that mod though i can control it alot better in the air and over the whoop sections.

i bought the GYTR kit which came with the screw and the AIS removal stuff, and jets (sorry TT store). i rode it like that for a while then took the baffle out of the exhuast, and what a difference that made! they really choked down the exhuast from factory.

Thanks Red,what do you think about these bikes needing tore apart and greased and lubed right off the bat ? Ive seen that posted ,and its hard to believe Yamaha would sell them that way. Any thoughts ? bob

Thanks Red,what do you think about these bikes needing tore apart and greased and lubed right off the bat ? Ive seen that posted ,and its hard to believe Yamaha would sell them that way. Any thoughts ? bob

Hey bob, check this out (if you haven't already done a search / read it).

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504328&highlight=greasing+the+07

The greasing situation is bonafide. I couldn't believe it either - seems ridiculous, but my 07 already had corrosion on the primary swingarm bolt.

Good luck. MG

Thats a great Harley,Ive got a 2003 Fatboy( 100th ann.). Ill tell you what Dan,you can handle a big heavy Harley so a dirtbike is gonna be a piece of cake.They still demand respect of course.

I ride an '01 wideglide, or used to untill I got my '06 WR450, now my glide doesnt get much attention, but you got it backwards, after wrestling with the 450 all morning, riding the Harley is a piece of cake!

Well its Sat, I got my new WR450 on Thursday,but didnt ride. Friday morning the dealer called and said to return the bike , there is a recall for a hole in the airbox(I had read about this on tt,but forgot).So i didnt ride it ,returned it Sat morn and sure enough there was a hole nearly the size of a dime in it ,they replaced it and i got it home for a ride... Put 35 miles on it and overall I like it ,but Im seeing what Ive learned on TT big time. The throttle stop is unbelievable,you turn it half a turn and it wont go any farther. You can tell the exaust is really choked off too,it even sounds like its choked. Still cant believe Yamaha sells them this way. We've had bad storms here in Ohio Thurs and Friday and when I got to the woods Sat. afternoon it was a muddy mess.My 07 WR450 looked brand new for about an hour, not anymore.One of the posts said to take a picture before I rode,I wish I would have followed that advise. I got bogged down in a huge puddle ,you guys were right ,that e-start is great. I used it several times in tricky situations. The bike is nice though , and I can see that after the mods, it is really gonna rock.The front forks seemed a little soft for my 210 lbs so ill have to tweak that too.......By the way, 2 of the mechanics at the dealer told me you dont need to grease the swingarm, initially . After what Ive read here ,that sounds like bad advise from guys who should know better.

hey red, how did you remove the baffle ? bob

You got a fantastic deal. The best I had seen to date was $6,400 before taxes. After looking at the new 08 models at Yamaha, I did not see anything materially different between the 07 and 08. Some folks were holding out. As the experienced Yamaha people have said, the YZ's get the new stuff first, and if you look at the 08's, well that's what they did. From my vantage of a weekend offroad rider (no racing), the innovation on the 08 YZ is nothing significant that makes me want to sell my new 07...thank goodness!

When I bought my 07, I had the dealer do all the mods...they did it all including me purchasing a Baja Kit (plate bike) and an FMF Q4 pipe. They GYTR jetted and needled, did AIS kit, grey wired, and put on high performance filter...all for $150 in labor. I guess they made up for it in the bike price and after market. I drove the bike home, and wow, I had to be careful with the new tires...it was burning rubber on acceleration and slipping in the corners.

The 07WR450 is simply awesome. I am coming from an 06 DRZ400, so the weight difference and center of gravity were great changes.

Uncork this beast and hold on!?

You got a fantastic deal. The best I had seen to date was $6,400 before taxes. After looking at the new 08 models at Yamaha, I did not see anything materially different between the 07 and 08. Some folks were holding out. As the experienced Yamaha people have said, the YZ's get the new stuff first, and if you look at the 08's, well that's what they did. From my vantage of a weekend offroad rider (no racing), the innovation on the 08 YZ is nothing significant that makes me want to sell my new 07...thank goodness!

When I bought my 07, I had the dealer do all the mods...they did it all including me purchasing a Baja Kit (plate bike) and an FMF Q4 pipe. They GYTR jetted and needled, did AIS kit, grey wired, and put on high performance filter...all for $150 in labor. I guess they made up for it in the bike price and after market. I drove the bike home, and wow, I had to be careful with the new tires...it was burning rubber on acceleration and slipping in the corners.

The 07WR450 is simply awesome. I am coming from an 06 DRZ400, so the weight difference and center of gravity were great changes.

Uncork this beast and hold on!?

thanks, im happy with my deal, it was actually less than i thought ,the taxes was less, my total was 6300 otd. because the dealer did me right im having them install the ais kit. i cut the grey, and removed the small exh. section.i may do more later. waiting on the kit to come first. how have you found out already about the 08s ?? bob