Which method or tool is the best to remove and replace the lower steering bearing

The best method for removing the lower bearing from the steering stem is to press the stem down out of the lower triple clamp using a hydraulic press, then pressing the stem back in, and the bearing back on the stem in two separate steps. Use of a hydraulic press to do anything is not a job for an inexperienced mechanic, even if he does it for a living. It is not possible to remove the bearing by any other means that I can think of without destroying the integral seal.

The simplest approach is to leave the bearing where it is and clean and pack it by hand right there.

The best method for removing the lower bearing from the steering stem is to press the stem down out of the lower triple clamp using a hydraulic press, then pressing the stem back in, and the bearing back on the stem in two separate steps. Use of a hydraulic press to do anything is not a job for an inexperienced mechanic, even if he does it for a living. It is not possible to remove the bearing by any other means that I can think of without destroying the integral seal.

The simplest approach is to leave the bearing where it is and clean and pack it by hand right there.

Your last method is the way I did it and I will roll with that way!?

thanks fur ya help!!!!

Is there a cheap tool to use to remove the lower steering bearing when you go to repack it or a simple method to remove it and to put it back on??

unfortunately ....no.

Hydraulic press is the preferred way - and a few here will freeze the entire stem to remove bearing....?

Is there a cheap tool to use to remove the lower steering bearing when you go to repack it or a simple method to remove it and to put it back on??

I don't know how tight the press fit is on the lower tree bearing is but here is a slick "tooless" method I have used for years to remove crank bearings and it might work for you.

Place the triple tree in the freezer overnight. Use some type of heat )propane, Mapp gas, or better Oxy/acetelyne) and quickly heat up the bearing till it smokes. invert the triple tree and slam the top hard on a block of wood, and the bearing should start to work it's way down the shaft. You might need to do this method a few times. Try it, it wont cost you anything..... good luck,