Valve adjust how to?

I just picked up a '98 XR600R. Thing lights on the first kick- runs great- very strong- lots of extra goodies on it- for $2K I COULD NOT be happier.

I've had lots of other bikes in the past 22 years, but this is my first thumper. Not knowing when the last valve adjust was done- (I do have a service manual included) I'd like to adjust/inspect the valves, but the manual just has the specs- not very informative on the procedure- anyone out there have a how to or etc for this bike? Any help would be appreciated. I've got a 2002VTX1800C and hang on the VTXOA forum- we've got how-to's aplenty for the VTX and I thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks in advance

Riley

98 xr 600? I have the Haynes for my 97 so they are the same. I will verify tomorrow but the clearances i have are .004 intake and .005 exhaust. Anywho, just unsrew the top 4 top caps on the top of the motor. You will NEED TO FIND TDC on the the compression stroke. Unscrew the little site window bolt as well as the one that covers the the nut to turn the crank. Just turn it till you see "T" lines up with the mark on the engine case. To see if its the TDC on compression stroke try jiggling the rocker arms. If you can jiggle ALL of them then ur good, if not rotate the motor again till "t" comes back around. To adjust the actual valve learance to rocker arm loosed the locknut and use a screw driver to srew in/out the roker arm valve pushy thing. LOL. just put the feeler guage between the valve and rocker arm. should be good to go. if you need any more info i an get it from the manual. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I just did this to my bike about two weeks ago :)

that how-to sucks. Steps for removing fuel tank and all that BS is not needed and a waste of time. You can access everything with the tank and side panels and shit on the bike.

that how-to sucks. Steps for removing fuel tank and all that BS is not needed and a waste of time. You can access everything with the tank and side panels and shit on the bike.

Thanks guys- no problem at all.

Riley