Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trail

KLR 650 or Ktm 650 adv

6 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy a DS bike.I want a 650.I wanted a new one....but this Ktm I am looking at has 2000 miles on it.

I want to ride on the street and in the woods on roads and easy trails ( i have a dirt bike already).I want to ride 2 up sometimes.

looking a 02 Ktm 640 adv and 07 Klr 650.. I am A little scared of the KTM as far as parts and repairs....

Any Help would be great I put a deposit on the KTM but I am haveing second thoughts. Ands the NEW klr is 1000 cheaper and there are a ton more aftermarket parts availble

get the KLR, ask my bro about his experience with a KTM 2 stroke, I dont even wanna think about how bad a four stroke would be.

I'm sitting on a similar fence. I'm wanting a 950 Adventure but all my friends that have them tell me about all the maintenence and I start thinking the KLR looks really nice for 2008. :thumbsup:

I also am considering a similar choice between a new KLR 650, BMW 650 and the KTM. I have had over 27 years of reliable fun from Kawasaki bikes and also have only less than one year with a '07 KTM 525 EXC. I will keep my KTM for a serious dual sport but I am considering replacing my DRZ400 (passing it over to one of my sons) with a more freeway worthy ADV bike. My three options are the BMW 650 (it would have to be a "Dakar" or at least a clone), '08 KLR 650 and the KTM. All great bikes and I think I can't go wrong with either......decissions,,,,decissions,,,,,decissions! I'm leaning towards the KLR for the price! But then again, I tend to keep my bikes forever so long term miles and reliability are more important than price so that gives the BMW a plus. But then again if the KTM is only half as amazing as my 525EXC .........you get the picture......Maybe I can convince two friends to get one of each and we can share!

I hunted the want ads and got an 06 KLR 650 with 175 miles on it and a 3 year warranty for 3,900 bucks! Heres a pic...

img0115-46yjb5h8s.jpg

I have a DRZ400 and had a KTM 620RXC..I really like the KLR..Easy to work on..comfortable and its good on the open road, which is one reason I wanted a bigger dual sport bike. There are lots of stuff you can get for it. My KTM stuck the rod on the crank and it was 4,000 for a motor rebuild. I took that bike apart and sold it on ebay.

BTW look up tomshell on here..he had a BMW 650 and traded it for a KLR 650..he should be back here in a week or so..Away on vacation.

Wow, and I thought I got a good deal on my '04 with 800 miles on it for $3900.

I hunted the want ads and got an 06 KLR 650 with 175 miles on it and a 3 year warranty for 3,900 bucks! Heres a pic...

img0115-46yjb5h8s.jpg