Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mtrider1

gearing advice

10 posts in this topic

Hey there,new to the site...love it.

Just bought an 01 yz426 and while i really love the power,I've found that the standard 48 tooth rear sprocket is wwwaaaayyyy too tall in the rough stuff.What sprockets are you guys running for off-road riding?I was thinking about a 53 tooth,I usually ride in rocks and crap so a little grunt is what I'm looking for.Thanks for any advice.

Just bought an 01 yz426 and while i really love the power,I've found that the standard 48 tooth rear sprocket is wwwaaaayyyy too tall in the rough stuff.What sprockets are you guys running for off-road riding?I was thinking about a 53 tooth,I usually ride in rocks and crap so a little grunt is what I'm looking for.Thanks for any advice.

The standard rear sprocket is a 49 tooth. I use stock gearing for woods and MX. :thumbsup:

For the tight stuff run a 13/50 combo. It gives great low end and still has enough top end in case it opens up a bit. I've got the same bike ('01 426) and I love that combo. I like it because you can use second gear instead of feathering the clutch in first and overheating it. But if you need the real low end granny type of gear you still have 1st to drop down to.

I usually drop a tooth in the front. This is easy because you can usually get away with using the same length chain as your 14 tooth stocker. That way you can easily swap between mx/woods gearing.

I found the stock gearing, 14/49, to be geared a little too high for tight stuff, but I had an extra 13 tooth lying around and tried it and it is geared WAY to low... I mean, 60mph would be a high speed with this setup! :thumbsup:

I have also tried 14/50 and, to me, it is about perfect for trails and what not.

SPROCKETS ARE CHEAP

Get a few, play around and gear to the track and your skill level.....everyone is going to like different options!

Thanks for your thoughts.(my bad on not searching first)

gotta a couple options lined up and will try them this weekend on the mountain.

hopefully i'll be able to keep my new clutch intact with lower gearing.

quick update...

bought a 13 countershaft today and was gonna install it.got things apart and much to my chagrin the previous owner had installed a 15 tooth sprocket...back i go for a stocker and i'll tell ya,it's a world of difference.sometimes i can be a real dumbass by assuming things.thanks again for all your thoughts.