oil changes... affected by type of riding?

ok guys now that i have a bike with a odomiter, how often should i change the oil? on my old bike it was every other weekend of riding (between 50-150 miles/ 4-14 hours) should i look at the odomiter or the riding time? i have a little over 200 miles and have changed it 3 times (one after first 25 miles, then 100, then 200)

i know if i go to the desert or dunes i will get alot more miles per hour than if i do tight trails. duning weekends i get probably 100+ miles in fewer hours as it takes me to do 20 miles of trail.

whats your guys' take on this?

ok guys now that i have a bike with a odomiter, how often should i change the oil? on my old bike it was every other weekend of riding (between 50-150 miles/ 4-14 hours) should i look at the odomiter or the riding time? i have a little over 200 miles and have changed it 3 times (one after first 25 miles, then 100, then 200)

i know if i go to the desert or dunes i will get alot more miles per hour than if i do tight trails. duning weekends i get probably 100+ miles in fewer hours as it takes me to do 20 miles of trail.

whats your guys' take on this?

On my 07 I change my oil between 150-200 miles regardless of riding conditions, and at ~300 miles on my 400s.

I ride heaps of different places, I might do 100kms in 1 hour or 20 hrs.

This is why I got an hour meter and change the oil every 5 hours or so.

I figured that am either wasting good oil or damaging my engine when I used to change my oil every 500kms or so.

Hey guys, just got a 06 450WR after a 5 year layoff...and am about mechanically inclined as a monkey...just read the service manual and found out there are 3 different plugs to drain the frame??? And if I figured it out right one of them is covered by a metal hose...doesn't look like fun...any tips on making the oil change go faster?

But the real question here is, what about the filter? If you're changing oil every other ride or weekend does that include changing the filter?...thanks...KS

Get an hour meter (they are under $50.) I change my oil every 10 hours and the filter every other oil change. Some people say this is a expensive way of maintainence, but I prefer to be "better safe than sorry".................................bahhh ?

remember where ya road..clean riding = clean oil...swamp it once and change pronto...clean airfilter = cleanoil...otherwise.....every 15 minutes...but it,ll be hard to enjoy riding it...

Hey guys, just got a 06 450WR after a 5 year layoff...and am about mechanically inclined as a monkey...just read the service manual and found out there are 3 different plugs to drain the frame??? And if I figured it out right one of them is covered by a metal hose...doesn't look like fun...any tips on making the oil change go faster?

But the real question here is, what about the filter? If you're changing oil every other ride or weekend does that include changing the filter?...thanks...KS

Definitely change the filter with every oil change. Oh, and my 06 has a total of 5 drain bolts. Do a couple of oil changes and you'll figure them all out. No way to make it faster without risking engine damage. I don't change my oil as often as some of these guys. About every 400 miles. My oil stays pretty clean, and I HATE doing them, so I drag it out sometimes. I'm sure I'll pay for my laziness later!!