Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jvw1952

Cold Hearted Beastie

7 posts in this topic

Just bought an '03 XR 650L with 309 miles on it. It starts right up with the choke in the first notch position. I can't take the choke off until I run it 3-5 miles! If I do it stutters and chokes. After what I consider a way extended warm up, it runs great. Is this normal?

Yes and no. Yes for the stock set-up, but you'll want to do a search for "Daves mods" and do them. It will make your bike run RIGHT!

depends....you might want to clean the jets off if its been sitting for a while...

take em out and try to blow compressed air through them, if one has what you believe to be a restriction or blockage, clean it out...

but, i have no clue what your bike is actually doing...

just my $0.02

Try adjusting your carb needle clip down one notch (richen/raise needle).

Just bought an '03 XR 650L with 309 miles on it. It starts right up with the choke in the first notch position. I can't take the choke off until I run it 3-5 miles! If I do it stutters and chokes. After what I consider a way extended warm up, it runs great. Is this normal?

Since the mileage is so low, the bike must have sat for years. Over time the gas in the carb evaporates and leaves a varnish like coating. This stops the gas from getting through. Take the carb out and clean it. Spray carb cleaner through all the jets and passageways. It sounds like the pilot jet is clogged up some.

If you do "Dave's mods" the bike will run a lot better. You will like the results. The bike comes with a very lean pilot jet. Part of the "Dave's mod" is a richer pilot jet.

Lots of good advice. I was afraid the carb might have to come off, but now I am sure.

Thanks!:thumbsup: