HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bibleman

Anyone bother to turn the petcock off?

39 posts in this topic

Just curious if it's really necessary. When I do, nine times out of ten I forget to turn it back on and stall the bike.:thumbsup:

same here, and it hasnt been bad to me... but, i need to rebuild it, so, that could say something... but its 13 years old.

Totally against the advice of all my buddies, mine stays on unless it's going into extended storage, like more than a few days or so.....

Just curious if it's really necessary. When I do, nine times out of ten I forget to turn it back on and stall the bike.:thumbsup:

I always turn them off when they are on the trailer or in the back of a truck. The bouncing can cause fuel to run into the engine and also out the overflow tubes. The end result can be a hard to start engine and lost fuel.

I used to not do it, but just as a discipline thing I now do it on all my bikes. Helps me stay focused on ALL the safety, pre-ride checks, like "tires, chain, lights, oil" etc.

Getting old, I guess.

(But like they say, "Getting old beats not.")

Ride safe.

I always turn it off, always have on all my bikes. Habit I suppose.

Allways on dirt bikes, my street bikes have auto shut off. I don't need any surprises.

Yep, I usually shut if off and let the bike run long enough to empty the float bowl. I got in the habit when I had a CR500, always seemed to start a little easier with fresh fuel in the bowl.:thumbsup:

Yep, I usually shut if off and let the bike run long enough to empty the float bowl. I got in the habit when I had a CR500, always seemed to start a little easier with fresh fuel in the bowl.:thumbsup:

+1

Also good if I can't ride unexpectedly for a while.

I never turn mine off no matter how long it sits. I do turn it off when I trailer it as gas will leak out of the overflow hose.

Turn off my street and dirtbikes....I don't know if it really matters but learned to ride that way and have always done it.

There are numerous methods of dealing with the bike that is not being used for a while. No method has been universally endorsed by anyone with authority. I have done everything from nothing at all to draining the tank and float bowl and spraying carb cleaner in the empty float bowl afterwards. Eddie Sisneros recommends using Stabil in the gas and leaving the float bowl full. The petcock itself does not seem to be a big issue with anyone.

here in southern california, i have to to turn off the valve and drain the bowl Everytime i ride or the crappy gas here will leave Green crusty deposits in the carb and plug the float valve .

not only my bikes, but the lawn mower and edger are the same way.. Brand new honda mower used it for the first time and by the next weekend. the carb was clogged up with green.

1 person likes this

here in southern california, i have to to turn off the valve and drain the bowl Everytime i ride or the crappy gas here will leave Green crusty deposits in the carb and plug the float valve .

not only my bikes, but the lawn mower and edger are the same way.. Brand new honda mower used it for the first time and by the next weekend. the carb was clogged up with green.

You guys are probably on the ethanol like we are. Terrible stuff for carbs. Outboard motors are having a hard time of it. As far as the petcock goes it gets shut when ever the bike is going to get parked that doesn't include running into a store or something of that sort.

I KNOW!!!!!

SHI**Y GAS!

pulled out the jet + float bowl drain plug, covered in green nastyness.

Just as a habit, I always turn mine off after riding including between practice sessions on the track.

Totally against the advice of all my buddies, mine stays on unless it's going into extended storage, like more than a few days or so.....

+1 only if im not riding in on a regular basis. The fuel that might evaporate off in a day or so is not even gonne be noticeable to your wallet. I have never seen this cause a problem.

I turn mine off but only becuase i am anal about things...i really don't believe you have to unless you are having carb float problems (old bikes who's owners don't maintain the carb).