Oh oooooh

Honda Killer me thinks:

http://www.eatmydirt.com.au//reviews/3518

This 29072007_Baja_B1.jpg

V this

IMG_4105.jpg

I am now a KTM convert!!!

This KTM looks farken awesome!!!!!!!!!!

And here in Australia Honda is putting their head in the sand and saying big bores are dead. ( we have no XR650s anymore)

I'm as much a Honda fanatic as the next guy (I built one and own 2) but when this puppy comes out sayanara Honda. I'm on KTM as soon as I can get one.

For the life of me I cant figure out why Honda has not released a new big bore do it all bike. KTM are what, a 50th the size, yet they can do it

Looks nice, I'll bet that will be a hit...

The supermoto version (US) weighs 152 KG (335.1 LBS) dry. That is a heavy bike. The XR650R weighs 277 lbs dry which is still a heavy bike. Translate this into real-world weight and you ar looking at 360 lbs (KTM 690) versus 305 LBS (XR650R).

KTM USA Website

http://www.ktmusa.com/272.20.html?detailview=2&cHash=da62385a81

The power numbers (64 HP) look nice on the KTM though.

The supermoto version (US) weighs 152 KG (335.1 LBS) dry. That is a heavy bike. The XR650R weighs 277 lbs dry which is still a heavy bike. Translate this into real-world weight and you ar looking at 360 lbs (KTM 690) versus 305 LBS (XR650R).

KTM USA Website

http://www.ktmusa.com/272.20.html?detailview=2&cHash=da62385a81

The power numbers (64 HP) look nice on the KTM though.

That is 64bhp....same as a XR650R with a full HRC kit.

Stock un-corked XR650R is 55bhp which is 44rwhp (on the dyno) XR650R HRC kit (HRC 11:1 Piston, HRC Cam, HRC timing chain and hop up kit) is 64bhp which is 52rwhp. So, in the end you have a very heavy XR650R with an HRC kit.

That is 64bhp....same as a XR650R with a full HRC kit.

Stock un-corked XR650R is 55bhp which is 44rwhp (on the dyno) XR650R HRC kit (HRC 11:1 Piston, HRC Cam, HRC timing chain and hop up kit) is 64bhp which is 52rwhp. So, in the end you have a very heavy XR650R with an HRC kit.

I think weight has proven to not be so much of an issue in the Baja.

Mostly rider specific.

I also suggest that 690 would flog a XR650 senseless. If you want to go hotting up the KTM then the XR is dust. Probably much more modern engine design as well as that chassis!!!!

BTW what the hell is this - "Keihin EMS with EPT (Electric Power Throttle)"

I'm a die hard honda guy, but I wouldn't mind reading about that KTM...

The SM version is sooo ugly, though... Why would they do a pipe like that?

Probably electronic fuel injection with electronic throttle control much like pretty much every passenger car sold in the U.S. Basically there is no mechanical link between the throttle tube and the butterflys, its all controlled by computers. Its razor sharp if programmed right.

The Aprillia RXVs have a similar set up as do the Yamaha R1 and R6

Probably electronic fuel injection with electronic throttle control much like pretty much every passenger car sold in the U.S. Basically there is no mechanical link between the throttle tube and the butterflys, its all controlled by computers. Its razor sharp if programmed right.

The Aprillia RXVs have a similar set up as do the Yamaha R1 and R6

Sounds awesome!!!

As allways when I look for new bikes many things come into play like initial cost, used parts availibility, will it run on low octane fuel as found in backwoods and Mexico, is it too hi tech to repair in the woods, reliability, will the weight kill me, is there a good aftermarket supply of goodies, new parts cost and availibility, what's resale value incase I want out and there's allways more. Many times the latest and greatest doesn't seem so great after a year or two.

We'll see if it can beat the 450X. KTM has a very fast team. David Pearson is the #1 AMA National Hare & Hound guy this year and he is VERY FAST. If the KTM team is prepared and have some luck they will do very well and could win. Could be a banner year for the pumpkins.

Well. if you have an extra 5 figures lying around you can probably have that Katoom, and then there is ......parts?........Ride Red.

We'll see if it can beat the 450X. KTM has a very fast team. David Pearson is the #1 AMA National Hare & Hound guy this year and he is VERY FAST. If the KTM team is prepared and have some luck they will do very well and could win. Could be a banner year for the pumpkins.

Wonder how organized their support team is going to be? Heli's?

I'd think they should be o.k though with all their expierience in the Dakar races...

I hope the 450X gets waxed! Then Honda will have to make another big bore successor to the XR650R.

BTW, the Baja 1000 450X was hand built by Honda engineers and was not anything that you can buy. Given that, it's like buying a Ford Taurus and expecting it to be just like the Nastycar Stock Car Taurus.

Sounds awesome!!!

On paper yes...

However owners of the 2007 R1 have reported that in 2nd gear around 5000 rpm the motor hesitates anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds. A glitch in the Yamaha Computer Controlled Throttle (YCCT) they haven't owned up to yet.

Looks sweet to me Rob. What kind of lift stand is that?

probably the first thing to break in the desert and leave you stranded :thumbsup:

probably the first thing to break in the desert and leave you stranded :thumbsup:

Or, the computer decides that you really do want WOT when the throttle is closed...

Dave

The Baja 690 does NOT have the Keihin Engine Management System... it runs an FCR.

More interesting to me is the rear suspension - linkage from the people who brought you PDS?!?!?

Also, the horizontal rear master cylinder is pretty sweet...

Now that's funny.......................

I hope the 450X gets waxed! Then Honda will have to make another big bore successor to the XR650R.

BTW, the Baja 1000 450X was hand built by Honda engineers and was not anything that you can buy. Given that, it's like buying a Ford Taurus and expecting it to be just like the Nastycar Stock Car Taurus.

exactly

everyone forgets that they built that bike pretty much from scratch, if you ever read the article on the 450x they built its pretty crazy. Just about everything is a custom/one of a kind/prototype developed by honda engineers during their off time.

Im interested to see how it holds up, we all know the XR's can run the 1000, turn around and run it backwards and still be able to run the 500.

Other than that honda better do something for the dual sport crowd, especially in cali. The "L" just dosent cut it and my 600r is getting a bit long in the tooth, I may have no choice but to pony up and get a KTM pretty soon. It seems like they are actually paying attention and giving people what they want.