HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TeamPrecisionIT

To go wide or not?

3 posts in this topic

I have a 2003 YZ450F and am getting to the point to change out tires. I am currently running in the rear a Dunlop D756 110/90-19 and am wondering if there is a downside to running a 120/90-19. There is no price difference, but will there be a fitment issue. I can't see physically if there will be but it does look like there is about a 15mm gap right now between the chain and side knobbies of my 110 size rear. Is there a handling disadvantage or is it pretty much an all good thing? I know how to set up a chassis and I can take circumference measurements and alter chassis setting to adjust for a taller/shorter tire. Any help would be appreciated.

Damian

I ran a 120/90x19 Maxxis IT for quite a while, and other than the fact that the tire provided a little more defense against rocks, there was no real advantage in terms of traction compared to the 110.

There were no fitment issues, but there were 3 downside points that I noticed:

> The weight. The 120 is significantly heavier, and if you ride fairly fast, you can tell it.

> Cornering (traction). The extra bite was just enough to cause the front to push a littler more on turn in, and on my '03, that was already a big enough problem without encouraging it.

> Cornering (profile). The tire being wider makes the bike a bit more reluctant to lean into a turn as the corner is initiated. Again, an '03 has a big enough problem with this without adding to it.

Cool, well those are good enough points for me to stick to what I know (the 110). I knew of the last two principles from street/track riding. I just didn't know they would still apply in the loose world. Thanks for the info.

Damian