Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
litng1

Timing chain questions xr600

10 posts in this topic

Got a 92 xr 600 I just put a new piston and rings in it.I got it all going again.It started first kick.I let it run a little bit and then changed oil.I then started it and let it idle again about 5 more times it started great everytime.But then the first time i reved it up pretty good it acted like it was out of gas and died.(Its not out of gas Hehe)I can not get it started again it will Hit for maybe one second when I kick it.

I think it has jumped time on me.Can I put a new chain in it without pulling the motor out?I guess you should always put a new chain in just for saftey sake huh.:)

I think its possible. Not the easyest way but possible. Remove head cover, clutch cover, clutch...and add lots of patience and a few beer and its possible.

Got a 92 xr 600 I just put a new piston and rings in it.I got it all going again.It started first kick.I let it run a little bit and then changed oil.I then started it and let it idle again about 5 more times it started great everytime.But then the first time i reved it up pretty good it acted like it was out of gas and died.(Its not out of gas Hehe)I can not get it started again it will Hit for maybe one second when I kick it.

I think it has jumped time on me.Can I put a new chain in it without pulling the motor out?I guess you should always put a new chain in just for saftey sake huh.:)

This may be a stupid question, but did you check the timing at top dead center with the valve cover off? the two marks on the cam should align with the top of the head. I would start there.

Yep im going to check the timing.Im just guessing thats what it is right now.It sounded so goood for awhile lol

doesn't sound like cam timing to me! not to mention it is almost imposible for the chain to slip on the gear. if it did you would have more issues than just not wanting to start. I have had this happen to me where I'll let the bike idle and warm up while I get my helmet on or something and it dies, and diffficult to restart. usualy flooded then . You may just have a fowled spark plug

doesn't sound like cam timing to me! not to mention it is almost imposible for the chain to slip on the gear. if it did you would have more issues than just not wanting to start. I have had this happen to me where I'll let the bike idle and warm up while I get my helmet on or something and it dies, and diffficult to restart. usualy flooded then . You may just have a fowled spark plug

I had my tensioner fail and the chain was really loose. It made all sorts of noise as it slapped around. Even though it was loose, it did not slip a tooth.

I checked and its out of time.Ive got new chain what else should i check.I have no idea how old the last chain was.

It is somewhat rare, but tensioner went bad. There was nothing to check really. Mine appeared to operate correctly when I was putting it together. It only failed while running and hot. Nothing catastrophic, the chain was just slapping around and making noise.