Alternative to fuel screw

? Does anybody have a special or homemade tool they use to adjust the fuel mixture screw? I've thought about getting a standard adjustable fuel screw but thought I'd ask what everybody else uses. I've tried to get the smallest screwdriver I have up in the hole to adjust, but there just isn't enough room to work. Probably easier to just buy the adjustable screw huh? Thanks for the info and imput!!

Kelly

07 WR450 owner (and lovin' it!!)

From Motoman393's website, go to the website for the photos of the tool.

"""""Quick Adjust Fuel Screw

If you have a Keihin FCR carb on your bike you already know it is a "royal pain in the butt" to adjust the fuel screw on your carburetor. This is because the fuel screw is recessed 1 1/2". Here is little tool that will make adjustments very easy at the track or in the garage!

Here are the instructions for making the tool.

You only need Three parts:

1 piece of 7/32" O.D. brass tubing. (hobby shop)

1 rod coupling nut 1/4 x 7/16 drilled out to 7/32". (Home Depot)

1 "screwdriver bit" made from an 8 penny common box nail.

Cut the nail about 3/16" shorter than the brass tube.

Hammer, grind and file the cut end into a flat screwdriver shape.

Make the bit end wide enough so that it is a snug fit inside the tube.

This insures that the "screwdriver bit" is centered in the tube.

Also make sure that the end of the "bit is recessed at least 1/16" from the end of the tube.

Glue all this together with some JB Weld or epoxy. Don't get any adhesive on the bit end.

When inserted into your carb the tube will go over the pilot screw, then turn the tool until you feel it grab and adjust away.

Thank you Kendell Coniff for the info about this mod (aka "Mad Potter" on TTalk)!"""""""

Check at the top of the forum under WR performance and then check Motoman 393's site or the Thumperfaq site for alot of free mods and tech articles. WR Dave

I just got a piece of small tubing per Motomans idea but then just looked for a small knob I could screw/glue to the end.I made a mark on the knob so I could count the turns when adjusting.I just used a little locktite and pressed it onto the stock fuel screw.It works and has been on there for many a mile, pretty good for about $3!

I think ts CRFs only or XRs only that has a fuel screw w/ a cable on the end of it. I Like the Slavens one, because its Brass on the busness end to prevent corroding. Its happened before that the needle after setting for a winter, got stuck in te carb body. Had to get a new carb body. I dont take the chance now wth the alumnum ones