new rings and valve grinding ?? help guys !!

my xr600 is very easy to kick over when trying to find tdc and i keep MISSING it. its done 30,000 kms. please any advice would be great

thanks in advance

Check the compression, wet and dry, if it is under 100psi, you need rings, if the wet reading is higher, if it is the same, you need the head worked on, as in valves.:):ride:

What is wet versus dry compression? I always just screwed the tube into the sparplug hole and kicked it over.

What is wet versus dry compression? I always just screwed the tube into the sparplug hole and kicked it over.

Do the compression check in the normal manner, then pull the spark plug and squirt a generous amount of motor oil into the spark plug hole and repeat the compression check. If the compression improves significantly after squirting in the oil, the rings are worn. If the compression does not improve, the valves are the culprits.

Do the compression check in the normal manner, then pull the spark plug and squirt a generous amount of motor oil into the spark plug hole and repeat the compression check. If the compression improves significantly after squirting in the oil, the rings are worn. If the compression does not improve, the valves are the culprits.

Cool! Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

thanks for the tip. never heard that.

Does the auto decompresion affect the compretion check?

XR650L auto-decomp does drastically lower the reading.

You are supposed to see, 90 psi I think with it active, and much higher when you disable it by loosening one of the exhaust tappets a bit.

Dave