2007 WR450 Valve Check Results?

Hi all you '07 WR450 owners.

Just curious what you have found so far with your valves.

I have 500 miles on my bike; have changed the oil 3 times.

Have any of you had to adjust?

And if so, how many miles did you have on your bike when you did?

If not, how many miles do you have on your bike now w/o an adjustment?

Thanks a lot,

Jim

jim i dont know about the 07 but my 03 has 7000 miles and has never been out of spec,

I've only had them checked after the initial break-in at about 15 hrs and they were spot on.

I'm gonna check mine this weekend. 20hrs on the bike. I know it's a little late. Isn't it like 15 hrs for the initial check? I'll let you know tomorrow on the clearances.

Thanks xrmarty, I look forward to your findings.

Regards,

Jim

just checked mine 2end time in 1000 m. and bang on speck

Very promising!

Keep the feedback coming.

Thanks.

Just checked my valves today on my '05. 600+ miles and they are well within spec. No worries.

Checked once at 20 hours and adjusted two exhaust valves ( a tiny bit on the tight side) haven't moved since in 100 plus hours

Bump.

Hi all you '07 WR450 owners.

Just curious what you have found so far with your valves.

I have 500 miles on my bike; have changed the oil 3 times.

Have any of you had to adjust?

And if so, how many miles did you have on your bike when you did?

If not, how many miles do you have on your bike now w/o an adjustment?

Thanks a lot,

Jim

:) My "03 has about 3800 miles on it and just checked the valves before a Baja trip last month and they were "on the money". Seems as if these bikes :ride: (WR) need very little valve adjusting.

Doc

I'm hopeful that the '07 is no different!

2007 WR450 Purchased 23 Dec 2006

Just finished my first valve check.

Mileage/Hours: 1069 miles/55.2 Hours

LI/MI/RI all between 0.10 mm and 0.13 mm (i.e., 0.10 would slide through but 0.13 would not).

LE between 0.20 mm and 0.23 mm

RE between 0.23 and 0.25 mm

ALL IN SPEC! :)

700 miles, first check all 5 in spec! :thumbsup:

should i return the $95 shim kit i bought???

Fabian

O7 WR450 with 600 miles on it. Intakes all at .10mm, one exhaust at .20mm and one at ~.19mm (out of spec). Time to adjust the valves for the first and hopefully last time.

Maynard

WR450 07

We pulled my sons '06 WR450 apart to check clearance for the first time since new. All within spec except 1 intake (left side). It was about .090mm. I could easily get an .080mm in but not the .10mm. Does anyone see this as a major problem? And how do you open the gap. Shims are for tightening up the gap, but I need to go the other way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I check mine ant about 22hrs, 4 were tight (2 intake, 2 exhaust). Each one only changed one shim size.

And how do you open the gap. Shims are for tightening up the gap, but I need to go the other way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Smaller (thinner) shims. They already have shims in them probably in the 165 - 175 range.

We pulled my sons '06 WR450 apart to check clearance for the first time since new. All within spec except 1 intake (left side). It was about .090mm. I could easily get an .080mm in but not the .10mm. Does anyone see this as a major problem? And how do you open the gap. Shims are for tightening up the gap, but I need to go the other way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

r u shure its the other way?--- also seen in another post that honda's adjuster's come in smaller incriments and work on wr/yz?

Two 2007 WR450's:

One with 3,000 miles/115 hrs since May: Valve clearance within limits, never been changed from new.

Second one with 2,800 miles/105 hrs since May: Same as above.

Bob

r u shure its the other way?--- also seen in another post that honda's adjuster's come in smaller incriments and work on wr/yz?

Well, technically, whatever size you put in determines the gap you have. So you can go either way with it. Put in a thinner shim and widen the gap or put in a thicker shim and close it up.

A buddy of mine was saying that Yamaha must put odd size shims in there because he has found wierd sized shims in a few bikes. Anyone have this experience?