Header Pipe extremely hot!!!

My header pipe on my 07' 450 will get extremely hot when I am starting it when it is cold. Sometimes it will actually start to glow red, is this normal? What would cause this?

Totally normal. Hot exhaust gasses and thinwall metal tubing combine for glowing headers. Don't let it sit and idle though, fire it up and ride it or it will overheat quickly.

GreyRacer.....marshmellow and bratworst cookout.....time again............:):ride::bonk:

What? Again?

Just today I was thinking that its been awhile since someone asked about the famous glowing header.

Whip it out grayracer. Its Memorial Day weekend and its time for a cook out....:)

Very well, then....

Mine does that too. :)

rocket-cart_sm.jpg

For some reason I laugh everytime I see that picture. :):ride::bonk:

Yes, the header is supposed to get hot. :)

My header pipe on my 07' 450 will get extremely hot when I am starting it when it is cold. Sometimes it will actually start to glow red, is this normal? What would cause this?

Now that the hazing is over...... :ride:

Welcome to TT. At the top of the forum page you'll find answers to frequently asked questions about the YZF's. :)

Damn I can't beleive I missed the glowing header thread...

I love those, almost always the first thread that someone posts after getting a new yz450...

oh yeah and I did kind of miss Gray's shopping cart picture...

Oh, like the others said, "welcome to TT" :)

Watching a 450 or 250f class at a night race being held up at the starting gate is always a site to see. Pipes glowing, people freaking....it's great lol I have learned that it somewhat helps if you rev your bike on and off....you can watch the header go from molten red back to it's normal color