Need definitive answer to grey wire mod.

I searched and found a massive amount of info on the grey wire mod for my 04 wr450, but it seems like a lot of differing opinions on what/how to do it. From what I read the mod should only make a difference at mid to high rpm, am I correct in this? If I am correct whay do I see so many threads where people have put a switch in. If it does not affect low rpm performance why switch back on a tight technical trail, why not just keep it in lower rpm? Also does this mod make any difference in starting or idle quality? I did read one very technical thread(beyond my somewhat basic comprehension)that talked about idle after cutting the wire but again very differing oppinions on what it did to idle quality and if it was harder to start. Sorry for rehashing an already overdone topic but I just need to know what i'm getting into.

Thanks

Glen:ride:

As you've mentioned, you will get different answers from different people. That is IMO because different people have different riding styles and therefore might like different settings.

As for starting and idling, I would imagine some bikes might be effected by the grey wire mods due to different jetting settings and other mods.

... but I just need to know what i'm getting into.

Just chillax! Unpin the grey wire; take it for a good day's ride and see if you like it. It's not like you're getting married to it. You can always put the pin back in.:)

Unplug it and go rip. My bike runs great with the grey wire cut.

Just chillax! Unpin the grey wire; take it for a good day's ride and see if you like it. It's not like you're getting married to it. You can always put the pin back in.:)

Take the plunge, be daring, disconnect it.

If I recall right, the switch isn't an on the fly kind of thing anyway. Whether the grey wire is connected or not is registered at engine start. So, you can have the switch and switch it, but it will not have any affect until the next time the bike is started.