Muffler repacking questions?

OK how much of this crap goes back in? Check out this pic.

dsc02237of1.jpg

I have new packing material, do I wrap the new material around the pipe core, or around the black screen thingy that the old packing was wrapped around??? if you can't tell this would be the first time I did this............

What kind of muffler and what does the new packing look like? In general, toss out the old packing and wrap the new packing around the perforated muffler core. Sometimes you use a cardboard tube to slide the packing over the core before removing the tube and leaving the packing in place. You may also have to wrap the outside of the packing with masking tape to getr it to slide through the canister when you put it back on.

All of the old fiberglass packing gets tossed. What concerns me is the little piece of pipe at the center of the picture next to the drill. Is that broken free of the end cap?

OK the little piece is the gasket from the header to the muffler pipe, don't worry i have a new one of those.

All the fiberglass gets tossed OK, but what about the screen like material? In the pic the (fat end) of the packing is all fiberglass. The rest is the screen and a nother filterlike material on the inside of the screen. Bottom line do I just wrap the new fiberglass around the fluted pipe core? Thanks to all.?

yeah man you got it - just wrap the new packing around the core and feed the cover back over top... If that is an 07 then you have the screen thingy in the end cap - I took that out...