XR650L Tank & Weight Issue

Hello,

This is my first post in the XR forum.

I have seen numerous photos of an aftermarket tank for late model XR650L's. The tank is shaped as if it has radiator shrouds (unlike the IMS). I believe it is an Acerbis, but not 100% sure. Would anyone be able to tell me the manufacturer and model number of this tank. I can search for and post pictures if that would help.

Also, I read the article regarding a "diet plan" for the XR650L on Baja Designs site. I am wondering after going through all the modifications and cost if the weight gets close to a DRZ400S. The DR was my last dualsport bike. It lacked power, but was lighter then the XR. My goal is to get the weight of the XR closer the DR...oh yeah, I will be using the bike for 50/50 street and offroad. My biggest concern is getting the bike set up to deal with sandwashes, which has always been a problem for me even on lighter bikes.

Thanks,

Jim

Check this "Caio from Italy" thread This guy spent cubic dollars on making his bike lighter. I believe there's no way to really get much weight off these things. I have a couple of street legal XR 600s and love them, but the things that make them a reliable,torque monster makes them heavy. I accept it for what it is, set up the suspension the best I can and try to ride it with my brain and not try to out muscle it.https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421904

Quote:

Originally Posted by lab_furn

Also, I read the article regarding a "diet plan" for the XR650L on Baja Designs site.

Quote:

What article are you referring to? I looked on their site and couldn't find anything. Link perhaps?

I looked for that article and could not find it. It was actually in a hardcopy of an older Baja Designs catalog that I no longer have. I just requested one and hopefully will receive it. It basically was just a list of things to do to the XR, similar to other posts I have seen elsewhere. Of course all the parts were available at Baja Designs. I do not recall how much weight it shaved, but it seemed substantial if I recall correctly. I am sure it is nothing you long time XR owners haven't seen posted here before.

I realize these bikes are a whole other beast and I will have to get used to the differences from my last bike. I think I will enjoy the added power and handling on the street over my past bikes by far.

Thanks for the responses. That was the tank I was thinking of.

I looked for that article and could not find it. It was actually in a hardcopy of an older Baja Designs catalog that I no longer have. I just requested one and hopefully will receive it. It basically was just a list of things to do to the XR, similar to other posts I have seen elsewhere. Of course all the parts were available at Baja Designs. I do not recall how much weight it shaved, but it seemed substantial if I recall correctly. I am sure it is nothing you long time XR owners haven't seen posted here before.

I realize these bikes are a whole other beast and I will have to get used to the differences from my last bike. I think I will enjoy the added power and handling on the street over my past bikes by far.

Thanks for the responses. That was the tank I was thinking of.

Ah, that's cool. I was hoping I might have overlooked something and might be able to shave another couple pounds off my Pig. Guess I'll have to work on the spare tire I carry around if I want to lose any further weight. ?

...Also, I read the article regarding a "diet plan" for the XR650L on Baja Designs site. I am wondering after going through all the modifications and cost if the weight gets close to a DRZ400S. The DR was my last dualsport bike. It lacked power, but was lighter then the XR. My goal is to get the weight of the XR closer the DR...oh yeah, I will be using the bike for 50/50 street and offroad. My biggest concern is getting the bike set up to deal with sandwashes, which has always been a problem for me even on lighter bikes....

The XR650L weighs about 35 lbs. more than the DRZ400S. You will never get the XRL down to the weight of the DRZ-S. Even if you do by taking stuff off, you could do the same with the DRZ and lighten it further.

I owned an XR650L and a green DRZ-S. The DRZ is very heavy, no doubt, but it feels significantly lighter than the XRL. It's not as topheavy, and it is more maneuverable. I could not ride my XRL in sand, but it's probably the rider that's at fault. The XRL is much better on the highway, although neither is a high-speed cruiser. I've done 400+ mile days on the XRL with not even an ache, but the DRZ is acutely painful after a 200 mile ride.

Both are good bikes. Get the XRL if you want, but ride it for a while before modifying it. Or get a used one that has all the accessories put on by the previous owner.

Somebody please help...... I need a bigger gas tank will the acerbis tank for the xr650r fit the xr650l. sahara tank is 6 gallon and that would be great... if i can find out if it fits

Acerbis makes a 5.8 gallon tank for the XR650L, I have one on my bike and it works great. There are several threads on here about that tank. Here is a new one on Ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acerbis-Tank-Honda-XR650L-1993-1996-5-8-Gallon-11159006_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35586QQihZ015QQitemZ250108416696QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

The tank for the XR650R will not fit.

Acerbis makes a 5.8 gallon tank for the XR650L, I have one on my bike and it works great. There are several threads on here about that tank. Here is a new one on Ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acerbis-Tank-Honda-XR650L-1993-1996-5-8-Gallon-11159006_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35586QQihZ015QQitemZ250108416696QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

The tank for the XR650R will not fit.

will if fit 2004??

The XR650L weighs about 35 lbs. more than the DRZ400S. You will never get the XRL down to the weight of the DRZ-S. Even if you do by taking stuff off, you could do the same with the DRZ and lighten it further.

I owned an XR650L and a green DRZ-S. The DRZ is very heavy, no doubt, but it feels significantly lighter than the XRL. It's not as topheavy, and it is more maneuverable. I could not ride my XRL in sand, but it's probably the rider that's at fault. The XRL is much better on the highway, although neither is a high-speed cruiser. I've done 400+ mile days on the XRL with not even an ache, but the DRZ is acutely painful after a 200 mile ride.

Both are good bikes. Get the XRL if you want, but ride it for a while before modifying it. Or get a used one that has all the accessories put on by the previous owner.

That's a good accessment of the bikes. On my DRZ I had started feeling some "discomfort" after 40 or 50 miles. The seat on a DRZ is definitely wider than that of an MX bike, but the seat on an XRL is huge. That is a definite plus. I think at my age I am ready to go for comfort, ride more conservatively and stay away from areas that would be considered tough riding conditions for a true dualsport bike. When I see those adventure bikes taking on terrain more greared for MX/trail bikes, I do not see how they do it. It looks like more work than fun.

T. When I see those adventure bikes taking on terrain more greared for MX/trail bikes, I do not see how they do it. It looks like more work than fun.

we dont know any better. i bitch sometimes that my L is a pig but ill probably get another 600cc d/s when im done with this one.ride a gs in the dirt and the L will feel like a 125!