HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rgf19312

Burning up tranny gears!

5 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone has heard that the Honda guys are putting a full quart of oil in the trans, instead of the called for .75 and that is saving the tranny gears, my question is, I've heard some of the Yami guys talking about burning trannys to, so are any of you running more oil? I am the proud owner of a 94 Yamaha yz250, an 02 R1, and a 07Wr 450F, Yamaha Rules:ride:

The Yamaha 's are not seizing due to the lack of lubrication like the Honda 's. For what ever reason the dogs on the Yamaha gears are wearing or getting damaged.

I`d not really heard of any WR tranny`s burnin up but I will say my 03WR450 uses a little oil each weekend and I have some metal shavings in my oil filter and housing every time I change the oil. Wonder if the tranny gears is where them shavings is coming from???????

did a search on this subject once and did not find anything to make me think Yamahas have tranny issues.

did a search on this subject once and did not find anything to make me think Yamahas have tranny issues.

You might need to search again. There are a lots of threads on 3rd and 5th gear failure.