Which to get Wr250 or WR450

Hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I have been ridig for about 6 years only road and mostly track. I have a Ducati 999S and have only ridden it on the track for the last two years. I do about 10 maybe 15 track days each year mostly in the warmer months.

I want something to do in the winter time so I want to get a dirt bike.

Most of the trails here in Australia need a registered bike and the police patrol these on there own enduro bikes..... bastards.

I run advanced times at the track and one of the goals of joining the dirt are to get more practice and expierence when the bike is moving around and sliding. and to spend more time on the bike.

So should I get a 250 or a 450.

I am 6"1' and 95kg, about 210 lbs.

I haven't riden a dirt bike since I was 12, I am now 27.

I have been doing a bit of reading and would lean toward a yamy or a Ktm.

Please give me your opinions.

Cheers

With limited experience on dirt, I wouldnt rule out the 250. A few of my friends that weigh more than you have purchased 250's and love them. Most people that buy the 450's dont have the ability to use all of the bike. I would recommend test riding one of each and decide what you feel most comfortable on.

Why do you have to use ALL of the bike's power?? I certainly don't use ALL the power ALL the time! I like having the excess power. I don't feel the need to squeeze every horsepower out of my 450. I don't push the motor to the highest rpm all the time. I would think that being easier on the motor most of the time will extend the life of the motor. If I were riding a 250 and pushing it to 75-100% max power and rpm most of the time, it's going to wear more than a 450 getting pushed 50-85% of the time. I'm sure if I were riding a 250 I would want more power and have to spend more $$$ on squeezing power out of it. I'm only 5'-8" and 155lbs. I love my 450, I always have power. If the 250 had a lower seat height and a 50lb difference I would consider it.(service honda junior 250X) It doesn't! If I were 6ft and weighed 200+ lbs I wouldn't consider a 250f unless I were completely green. I hadn't been on a bike or atv in 14 years when I bought my 450. I love it, I love the power. I ride single tracks and can hold my own. I certainly get tired of waiting for others sometimes. The only people I can't keep up with have been riding consistantly while I wasn't. I rode a cr125 recently and couldn't stand it. I wanted off right away! Didn't feel the same about a YZ 250(2 stroke). Again with the wr I ride trails and not tracks. I always have fun, except for that occasional bad day on the bike. That happens to me and everybody I ride with once in a while. Good luck deciding

With limited experience on dirt, I wouldnt rule out the 250. A few of my friends that weigh more than you have purchased 250's and love them. Most people that buy the 450's dont have the ability to use all of the bike. I would recommend test riding one of each and decide what you feel most comfortable on.

I agree with the 250. I would NOT buy a brand new dirt bike though. Get a used one. You are going to fall quite a bit.

I am a long time street rider and have played around on the track. But I find dirt bike riding far more challenging and addictive. You will definitely get more comfortable with the bike sliding and moving under you, but if your ducati slips and slides as much as your dirt bike does, you'll highside at every turn.

Yes the 450 is more bike and it has more power, but the 250 has plenty of power. You just have to rev it a little more. Its easier to learn on, easier to throw around and it will carry you over/around/through anything, even at your weight.

After a while, trade the 250 for a 450 after you are comfortable on dirt, which is an entirely different thing than riding on asphalt. That's why you start off used.