Is it ok to strap a gas can onto the front

On the Honda xr650L would it be okay to strap a 4 litre ( 1 gal) gas can to the front.

Have it say just sit on the front fender, and bungee cord it tight against the plate area.

I've done this before and it worked good but make sure you secure it real well so that it will not jump off the fender when you hit a bump/whoop.

Why not carry Gatorade bottles in a back pack? Works better with less worry.:)

I'd go with the bottles in a pack before I did the front fender thing.

Msr Fuel bottles.

I do not always ride with a pack to carry bottles of fuel in...and if I do, often need the room for other items.

So really would like a good way to carry a small jerry can instead.

Thanks again:ride:

:) Have you thought of getting a larger tank 4 your bike? Much easier, safer, and not that expensive.:ride: You can get one up to 9.6 gal if you really ride that far:smirk:
:) Have you thought of getting a larger tank 4 your bike? Much easier, safer, and not that expensive.:ride: You can get one up to 9.6 gal if you really ride that far:smirk:

I have thought about it.

But I like the stock tank for 95% of rides, just occasionally need more range is all.

Seems many have mentioned poor mounting hardware, and fuel tap issues etc. with the aftermaket tanks as well.

For normal day to day use the stocker is great.

Looking at a longer than usual backroad trip with a group in July, and have to make it about 250 or 260 kms between gas stops is all.

Looks doable with an extra gallon strapped on.

I may look more into the Clarke tank though as well. :bonk:

Try the IMS 3.2 gal. It looks almost like a stock tank but has just enough extra range to make it a much better bike IMO.

Try the IMS 3.2 gal. It looks almost like a stock tank but has just enough extra range to make it a much better bike IMO.

Cool, thanks for the link. :)